XVI

Sausage's POV:

"I can't believe it," Scott says, his tone dripping with fake sympathy. "Her own seabling hasn't dared to move a muscle,"

"I want Joel back, thankyou," Lizzie says, pursing her lips.

"You don't want to hear it, do you?" he asks. "The little Ocean Queen wants to be taken seriously!"

"I don't give a damn about where Jimmy stands in this argument, Major. What I do care about is my husband, over there, who you seem to be holding hostage. And I seem to be wanting him back,"

I slowly but surely unsheath my sword, but Scott's straying eyes turn towards me.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you, Sausage," he taunted. "We wouldn't want anything happening to Big Man Joel, and it being all your fault, now, would we?"

"Zip your mouth, pipsqueak," I say. "Joel's a fighter, and so are we. So shut your ass up before the Ocean Queen kicks it into the abyss!"

The server looked triumphant.

Scott, on the other hand, looked unimpressed.

"I wonder if an axolotl mates for life?" Scott asks, completely ignoring Lizzie and me. "Because if they do, isn't Lizzie going to be in for some trouble?"

Rage burns in Lizzie's eyes, and in the twinkle of an eye she's picked up the elf by his neck and is holding him over the mountain ledge.

"Now you listen here, you scrawny little blueberry!" she booms, making the mountains rumble in shock. "You give me Joel back, and I will decide not to drop you off this ledge!"

And soon, Gem was pointing her staff at him, and so were the others - except Jimmy - who were holding up their bows.

But Joey steps forward, brandishing his dagger and closes it in at Scott's throat.

"She might be a sea witch, but you'll be the bad snitch," he says.

"And snitches get stitches, Scott," Shrub cried.

"We know you're in there somewhere, Scott, but this version of you is not welcome here," Katherine adds.

"Look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself if your morality is at a high level right now!" Gem says disapprovingly, pursing her lips with her hands on her hips.

"And then you'd probably die from falling because of the distance between your morality and your wits!" fWhip yelled triumphantly.

"The Vigil said someone was going to die tonight, and by the looks of how the tables have turned, it will probably be you," Pix told him.

"You've called all the dogs of war!" Pearl exclaimed.

"You're outnumbered, eight to one!" I cry, and I almost feel happy with myself for joining in.

"And for all those who dare cross me, I have four words:

Let.

There.

Be.

Death."

Remind me never to get on the Ocean Queen's bad side.

And with a smirk on Lizzie's face, she drops Scott off the cliff and into the mountains below as his eyes turn teal once more.