Regrets

AN: Hey guys, another chapter. I want to thank FaroeKing, Shade Riley, and DaniDraws for helping me with the design of a character to make sure I was writing them right. Don't want to give spoilers away so read on to find out.

***

Death was a weird concept for those who dwelled in Heaven and Hell. From what Moxxie knew, the angels in Heaven were ageless beings who never aged, rarely got sick, and any sort of "death" was usually from artificial battles or simulations those inside its walls made for fun and excitement. This was thanks to the "grace" that was said to reside in all angels from those born in Heaven and gifted to those who earned it on Earth. This "grace" gave them the state of eternal life and power that God granted them. You only lose that "grace" if you become a "Fallen" such as Lucifer and those who rebelled with him who lost theirs after the rebellion.

You can kill an Angel, but they always come back to life eventually. Unlike demons, which could be killed permanently via Angel Steel, there was no proper way to kill angels unless you somehow managed to kill God himself. Even Moxxie believed such a feat was impossible, no matter how much the propagandists and priests of Hell liked to claim.

Upon dying, angels were either reborn into new bodies via reincarnation while others awakened in their formally deceased bodies if the damage done to the body upon death wasn't that bad. According to Rachmiel, who had been happy to discuss the culture and means of his home realm, there was a special place in Heaven known as the "Crystal Sepulchre" where all the bodies of the deceased angels were put to rest to awaken once their "grace" had been restored.

Death in Hell was a different story. It was a regular occurrence to the point that few cared at all if many demons died. In some places, even seeing children die was not seen with a vast black lash or much care. Because of this, death wasn't seen as a big deal unless it was permanent, and even then, it was still not seen as a massive deal unless you personally were affected. It made sense in a world where survival of the fittest was the norm, code, law, and doctrine. Personally, Moxxie hated it. He hated the idea of death being the "norm" of the world, even if his profession, both in his old and current life, was about it. If he was really being honest, Moxxie wished he had a career in music like he had dreamed once at one point. But every time Moxxie thought about that, he felt guilt and shame. Like he was unworthy of it all.

There was also nothing for a demon after an actual permanent death. You ceased to exist. End of story. Death by any other means was the same as for angels, reincarnation, or recovery in your body, but only the most powerful demons could do that. Still, there are funerals and graveyards and the like. One of which Moxxie was visiting was for two individuals that had once meant everything to him.

If you were to ask Moxxie about his parents, he would always say they were dead. Because the parents that he treasured, loved, and cared for were indeed departed for good. Permanent death. Most assumed it was because of an Extermination, but it was because Moxxie failed to protect them from his "birth family."

His so-called "Birth Father" and "Birth Mother," along with his "Brothers and Sisters," were never family in Moxxie's eyes ever since the day he lost the ones that genuinely acted like parents to him.

Walking through the multiple graves with two bouquets of flowers in his hands, a solemn and nearly teary-eyed Moxxie soon stopped before two tombstones that were no different than so many littered among the field. But for Moxxie, they were the two most important.

"In Loving Memory of Alex Esine

-Beloved Husband, Professor, and Teacher."

"In Loving Memory of Isabella Esine