Family

Miach POV the day of Bell's arrest

My familia was distraught. Bell had been arrested protecting Wiene and the Xenos. He tried to play it off like he would be fine. But everyone there could see it was a lie and Bell knew we could. Yet he stuck to the act and pretended everything was fine.

I was holding onto Nazha as she cried her eyes out. Bell had done so much for us when he first arrived. He got us out of debt, gave us money to renovate the old shop before it was destroyed, he helped us get new familia members, and helped us skyrocket in terms of ranking.

We were now a B-rank familia, and it was all thanks to him. I felt my own tears threaten to spill from my eyes but I had to remain strong for my familia. I had to, but why was it so hard?

I looked back down at Nazha, she was holding on to me tightly as she cried. Bell was like the little brother she never had. His eyes always held a spark that had the potential to be an inferno. A smile of his or his presence could light up a room. Nazha had grown close to the boy, she took it upon herself to try and be a good female role model to him, and while he had trouble accepting it at first, he never shied away from it.

I shut my eyes as I thought about the state of my familia. Laurier was combing through any law book she could find to see if she could get Bell released early.

Haruhime and Lili were locked in their rooms refusing to come out. Welf had gone out to the training field and punched a wooden post until his knuckle bled and Hephaestus had to come and talk him down.

Lena, Aisha, and Zald were in the dungeon. The two girls blowing off some steam as Zald kept a watchful eye over them. Daphne was helping Cassandra who was in her room muttering about how the time is drawing closer.

Regis, well he was laying in the hallway between Lily and Haruhime's room. In case either of them needed him he would be there.

A thought then crossed my mind, if this was the reaction to Bell being arrested, what would be the reaction if he died?
.
.
.
.

Bell POV

I sat at Mia's bar a mug of ale in front of me. It had to have been the fourth or fifth mug I didn't know I wasn't keeping track. I only felt a small buzz right now but my goal wasn't to get drunk, It was just to stall because I was scared to go back home.

"You're gonna have to go back eventually," Mia told me. It was late, the bar had shut down hours ago and Anya was asleep.

I took a sip of the ale and responded. "I know, but I don't know how they'll react when I come back"

Mia sighed as she took a seat next to me. "Running away won't solve anything Bell, all it does is prolong the inevitable"

I set my mug down and put my head in my hands. "What if they're scared of me, I did something bad and caused a lot of trouble"

"Do you regret it?" she asked.

Do I? I sat there for a moment thinking. If I didn't help the Xenos I wouldn't be in this mess.

An image of Wiene flashed in my mind and I felt a small smile on my face. "No, I don't regret what I did, I do regret having to kill someone to do it though"

Mia put her big burly arm around my shoulders. It wasn't meant to be seen as a sign of intimidation but one of comfort. "Listen, kid, sometimes we gotta do things we gotta do, it doesn't mean you have to like it, you can even hate it if you want, but in the end, it has to be done, you get what I'm saying"

I did, she was telling me that I can hate the killing all I want, but if the time comes for it I'll have to do it, I can feel bad about it after but I shouldn't put my life on hold.