Chapter 20

The water was rushing out from the faucet as Ji Xing rubbed her hands nervously. As the saying goes; a guilty conscience needs no accuser. Her heart was racing like a drumbeat, her legs trembling.

She hoped that Han Ting had just arrived and prayed to all gods that he did not listen to a single word of her nonsense.

She never expected to be so unlucky. This was her first time doing something wrong and she was caught in the act. Although strictly speaking, it wasn't the first time.

She grabbed a tissue to wipe her hands and noticed in the mirror that her cheeks were red from nervousness. She crumpled the tissue and threw it into the trash can, feeling uneasy as she walked out. As soon as she turned the corner, she saw Han Ting standing in the corridor with his hands in his pockets.

Ji Xing was afraid to approach him, feeling like a little student who was caught cheating by a teacher. She stopped at a distance and looked at him warily.

Han Ting was still his usual self, nodding his chin towards the safety door between them.

She lowered her head and went through the door into the safety passage.

The motion-sensor lights in the hallway turned on.

Han Ting followed her in, holding the heavy door and closing it slowly.

Ji Xing felt extremely anxious as she watched his slow movements. She was in a state of panic.

When Han Ting let go of the door and turned to look at her, his tone was pleasant. "Who were you eating with?"

"Yao... Chief Clerk Yao, from the Food and Drug Administration," Ji Xing replied, her mind racing as she wondered how much he knew.

"Talking about the product registration for approval?" He looked at her calmly.

"Yes," Ji Xing said, twirling her fingers around her clothes. He shouldn't have heard anything, she thought hopefully.

Han Ting nodded and said, "Did it go smoothly?"

"It went pretty well," Ji Xing said, her fingers still fidgeting. She was relieved that he didn't seem to know much.

Han Ting nodded again and said, "My name came in handy in the end, didn't it?"

Ji Xing was startled. "Huh?"

He narrowed his eyes slightly. "You used my name to deceive people. Was it a good experience?"

The words 'deceive people' stung Ji Xing, leaving her tongue-tied.

"I thought you were immature and impulsive, but at least hardworking and smart. I never thought you would use your intelligence in such a way and take shortcuts," he said.

Ji Xing had never heard anyone use sarcasm so sharply. She blushed, feeling ashamed, and tried to defend herself. "I know we're not friends. But I didn't say anything wrong. I just said we knew each other and that you were my investor. But... you are my investor, that's not a lie," she said, her voice getting smaller and smaller.

Han Ting looked at her for a moment and then sneered. "Still pretending?"

Ji Xing's face instantly turned red, feeling as though she had been slapped.

"You pretend to be ignorant even though you understand perfectly well. Why should others provide you with convenience just because you know me? How many times have you met me? Investor, you say? Do you feel that they think we have a certain kind of 'relationship' that you don't understand? Do I need to spell it out for you?" Han Ting said, his pupils contracting as he suddenly loosened his tie and approached her.