<five>

we followed everyone when we saw them rush past our cell. they all went into hershels room while we stood by the door. 'he got bit.' rick said.

i looked at him and gasp at the sight of a bleeding hershel that was missing half of his right leg.

everyone fussed over hershel while i stepped away before i threw up. i noticed daryl stood, waititing and staring at the door with his crossbow up 'what are you waiting for?'

he looked back at me 'go back to hershel, make sure he's okay.' he ordered me.

i scoffed 'no way. that's disgusting. i'll throw up then the whole cell block, while it already smells bad will smell of vomit which is much worse than it already is.'

daryls eyes rolled 'fine, we ran into people, think they were prisoners. grab a gun.'

'i can't shoot. never used a gun.'

'what the hell can you do then.' i looked down, disappointed with myself. he was right i was useless. he probably saw this as he sighed 'grab a gun, we'll see how good a shot you are when it's needed. sometimes practice is awful but you're better with the real thing.'

i grabbed the handgun with the silencer on the table, holding it up at the door. i wasn't sure if i was stood right or even holding it right but i saw daryl look at me and he didn't say anything so i guessed i was alright.

i heard whispers before seeing a grubby man in a tank top with a man bun step out from the dark hallway. 'that's far enough.' daryl said, intimidatingly, his crossbow still aimed at them.

4 more prisoners followed him out 'cell block c.' the man with the long hair pointed out 'cell 4, that's mine gringo, let me in.'

'todays your lucky day fellas. you been pardoned by the state of georgia. you're free to go.' daryl said with a blank stare, still aimimg for them.

the long haired man looked past up to see the fuss over hershel 'what you got going on in there?'

'none of your concern.' i shot back.

'don't be telling me what's my concern.' he pulled a gun out his pants.

daryl stood up straight 'don't hurt her, you do i kill ya.'

another prisoner spoke 'chill man. dude's leg is messed up, besides, we're free now. why we still in here?'

'the mans got a point.' daryl said. i would have said something but i thought i might get threatened or hurt and daryl would keep his promise and kill one of them.

'yeah and i gotta check on my old lady.' another piped up.

the first gave us a death glare 'a group of civilians breaking into a prison you got no business being in, got me thinking there aint no place for us to go.'

'why don't you go find out.' daryl raised his crossbow a little bit more.

the last one said 'maybe we'll just be going now.'

'hey we ain't leaving.' the first piped up again. why the hell would he want to stay in prison. and the rest wanted peace why the hell couldn't he just be the same.

t-dog appeared from round the corner 'you ain't coming either.'

'hey this is my house my rules i go where i damn well please.' he had his gun pointed at t-dog while i pointed mine at him.

the guys kept arguing over the prison, trying to be alpha male until rick ran in behind us 'hey, everyone relax, theres no need for this.' he spotted me out the corner of his eye 'hey, taylor, why don't you go back to the others.'

'no.' was all i said.

'go on little girl, listen to your daddy.' the prisoner mocked.

i cocked the gun in my hands 'he's not my dad. and don't make me shoot you.'

he went back to ignoring me 'how many of you are in there?'

'too many for you to handle.' rick shot back.

'you guys rob a bank or something?' he asked. 'why don't you take him to a hospital?'

the 4 of us exchanged looks before rick asked 'how long you been in that cafeteria?'

'going on like 10 months.'

another continued 'a riot broke out, never seen anything like it.'

the last added 'attica on speed man.'

'ever heard of dudes going cannibal?' another asked 'dying and coming back to life. crazy.'

'one guard looked out for us, locked us up in the cafeteria. told us sit tight, threw me this piece, said he'd be right back.'

'and that was 292 days ago.'

'94 according to my cal-'

'shut up!' he was rudely cut off by the first prisoner.

'we were thinking that the army or the national guard should be showing up any day now.'

'there is no army.' rick broke the news to them.

they looked confused 'what do you mean?'

'there's no government, no hospitals, no police. it's all gone.'

'for real?' the one at the end asked.

'what about my moms?' one asked.

another asked 'my kids? my old lady? you got a cell phone or something that we can call our families?'

'you don't get it do you?' daryl added. he still hadn't lowered the crossbow.

rick explained 'no phones, no computers. as far as we can see, at least half the population has been wiped out. probably more.'

they stood in shocked silence for a minute 'ain't no way.'

'see for yourself.' rick gestured behind him.

i tried to follow them outside but got stopped by rick 'taylor, go back. you've done enough.'

'no, rick, let me come with you.'

'taylor, it's not that i don't think you can handle yourself. i just don't trust these guys. i don't know what they're capable of and i need to keep you safe.'

' you don't have to do anything.' i tried to push back.

he grabbed me and pushed me back again before i got past him 'i do. you don't have any family, and you're now part of my group making you my responsibility. i can't have anything happening to you on my watch.'

i huffed before turning back, heading back to the cells where carl let me in.