Chapter eighteen: A groundbreaking birthday party. Literally.

WARNING: In this chapter there is going to be a makeout between women. If you feel uncomfortable reading about that kind of stuff, please seek the end of the chapter when you see this appear right before your birthday party would start:

---

Have fun reading!

---

An understandable tension enveloped the compound since the failed prank. You became the second biggest topic to avoid after Loki who was still extremely cold, by the way.

He didn't talk to you much since the day he coaxed you out of killing Earth's favourite superheroes, but when he did say a few words they felt lighter and more friendly, almost like the way before the 'incident' where he just wanted to talk...

You weren't exactly sure what you were going to do with him. Have you lost all his trust? Was he even willing to communicate with you after what happened? Because, truth be told, you actually began to enjoy spending time with him despite convincing yourself that it was only to gain enough trust to get your answers.

And the way he kept his eyes on you until he made sure you returned to your normal temper, whispering calming words in honey laced orders really made it hard to keep your eyes off him.

Anyways, the atmosphere that settled between the Avengers was not something anyone would want to willingly enter. It had taken its toll out on Tony the worst, he refused to talk to anyone but you and Pepper, but he actually looked at Loki with surprisingly less hatred in his eyes than before. It was undeniable, if it wasn't for him, something horrible would have happened that the others so eagerly avoided.

So the days slipped by quietly and uneventfully, up until one morning, when Tony decided to announce that the day of your birthday party was indeed today and he expected everyone to be there. Maybe this party is going to cause peace to settle back between the Avengers...

Tony had insisted on taking you shopping. You two proceeded to spend three hours both trying on ridiculous outfits and dying of laughter every time one of you emerged from the fitting booths while a swarm of workers hurried to decorate Stark Tower under the strict supervision of Miss Virginia Pepper Potts. The security eyed you suspiciously, following you through the stores until they physically had to hold the doors of the shop closed because many people on the street recognised you two and wanted to get in. You continued your adventure until you found a dress that Tony instructed you to "try on in that millisecond".

It was a black lengthy dress with a train that looked like it had been torn into many lace pieces but in a vampire way. When you stepped out, his jaw dropped to the floor and without so much as a word more, he bought it.

You left with your dress and a new shirt for Tony. Before hopping in the car you made time to take some pictures with the people on the street and after that Tony drove away with his signature peace sign.

You were in your room now, getting ready when a knock sounded on your door. In came Loki with a neutral but somehow still cold expression. Your brows shot together but you didn't stop him from entering. Something prevented you from doing so.

"I didn't know it was your birthday today." He said as he moved to sit on your couch beside your dress. Both of you acted like nothing bad ever happened between you. He was back to being hot again.

"It's nothing, really. One more year to my account..." you frowned while you put some blush on your face, the stubborn thoughts of just how unpredictable he can be skimming at the surface of your mind.

"Don't like your birthday? You looked rather agitated earlier." He asked, closely watching as you applied makeup. You felt your skin itch, having his eyes on you like this.