A Night of Imprinting

Davina P.O.V.

Over the next few days, I fell into an uncomfortable rhythm. I made the food for Seth, Leah, and Jacob- not because Esme was incapable of making food- but because Leah would only eat food made by me.

I didn't mind making the food either, as since now that I could continue eating it, I had a fun time making sure it tasted right.

The three wolves still stayed with us, not going home. At least, not until the babies were born.

It was weird though. Bella was only three weeks pregnant and the acceleration seemed much quicker than mine. Her baby bump was far larger than mine ever was- and I had been carrying three babies.

Of course, perhaps things would have been different if I hadn't been in the bomb accident and had to undergo so much surgery. Maybe the bump would've been bigger then.

For another, when it broke her rib, it didn't snap back in place. But maybe her baby just didn't like playing with them? I had no idea and I didn't voice anything aloud. In fact, when I was with Edward, I focused mostly on random things. Of course, half the time, my mind wandered to Sam which was a painful thing for me to think about.

Alice, Jasper, and Carlisle were often researching about immortal children in the library. Sometimes I helped, sometimes I stayed at the cottage with our kids.

Carlisle and I still wanted to keep our own kids a secret. Should this end badly with Bella, we wanted to be able to take our kids and leave. It was all about keeping our own kids safe.

Carlisle was trying to use our kids as a measurement to Bella's, but it was hard because he hadn't watched me go through the affects.

Right now, Carlisle, Edward, Bella, and I were in the front room that Carlisle had turned into a hospital room. I didn't really want to be here, but I refused to leave Carlisle's side unless I was checking in on Samuel, Niklaus, or Caroline.

"Your rib is cracked." Carlisle said softly, staring at the X-rays that he had just taken of Bella. "But there are no splinters. You haven't punctured anything." He turned to face her, wrapping an arm around me in the process.

"Yet." Edward said in an angry voice. He and Rose were the only ones who hadn't gone hunting in weeks. Both of them had incredibly black eyes.

"Edward." Carlisle whispered.

"It's breaking her bones now." Edward said coldly. "It's crushing you from the inside out. Carlisle tell her what you told me. Tell her."

Bella looked upset, her hands resting on the baby bump. I felt bad for her. My pregnancy had been nowhere near as bad as this. It seemed almost as though her baby was growing even faster than mine.

Carlisle turned from looking at Edward to Bella. Now that he was rarely going anywhere, he had dressed less fashionably, wearing a purple hoodie. I smiled grimly as he looked down at me, squeezing his hand.

"Carlisle, tell me. It's all right." Bella said.

Carlisle let go of me to walk closer to Bella. In a very quiet voice he said, "The fetus isn't compatible with your body. It's too strong. It won't allow you to get the nutrition you need. It's starving you by the hour. I can't stop it, and I can't slow it down. At this rate, your heart will give out before you can deliver."

Bella was shaking her head, tears pooling in her eyes, as she tried to figure out what she wanted. I paused, getting up from where I was in the doorway.

"Then I'll hold on as long as I can, and then. . ."

"Bella." Carlisle interrupted her softly. "There are some conditions that even venom can't overcome. You understand? I'm sorry."