Chapter 12

"It's important to you Brody... You're the team's captain, the quarterback... They need you..."

"And I will be there for them, but there are more important things than football." Brody said.

"Football has always been important to you." I rolled my eyes.

"You're more important to me than football." Brody said. I met his eyes with surprise. Brody smirked. "You heard me right. I said you're more important to me than football. Don't forget it." He stood up. "Get some rest ok?" I nodded in response as I laid back.

I closed my eyes and soon I drifted off to sleep, but not for very long. I had a nightmare, but not like the one I had where it was just flashbacks to the night Ayden hurt me. I saw Brody and Ayden fighting, but Brody got hurt and there was so much blood. I screamed as I woke up. Of course I was in pain after sitting up too quickly. I had tears rolling down my cheeks as I tried to calm myself.

"Sky!" Brody rushed in.

"I-It was a bad dream..." I said as I took a deep breath.

"Was it the same one you had before?" Brody asked, sitting on the edge of the bed.

"No... This one was different..." I ran my hands through my hair. "You and Ayden were fighting and..." I paused for a moment. "You got hurt..." I shook my head as the image popped in my mind again. I flinched as I shook my head. "There was so much blood..." My voice cracked.

Brody moved to my side and held out his arm. "Come here." He said softly. I slowly moved closer to him. He wrapped his arm around me as I rested my head on his shoulder. His free hand grabbed mine and he slipped his fingers between mine. "It was just a dream. I'm right here." He said softly. "Try to sleep."

I was quiet for a moment then I lifted my head and looked into his eyes. "T-Thank you..."

Brody stared into my eyes for a moment. "You're welcome." He said softly. "Sleep now." He smiled. I smiled in return and rested my head against his shoulder. I closed my eyes and I soon drifted off to sleep.

When I woke up the next morning, I felt Brody's arm around me. I could hear his soft, steady breathing behind me. I slowly looked behind me and he was sleeping soundly.

I felt my face get hot as I looked away from him. I slowly sat up and winced. I feel like I'm more sore today than yesterday. I checked my phone while Brody slept.

'Staying with the poser I see...' Ayden texted. 'The big game is tonight... Guess we will see if he plays.'

My heart dropped as I stared at my phone. I slowly looked at Brody for a moment then eased out of bed. I slowly made my way out the door and down the hall. I walked over to the door, taking a deep breath and slowly looking out the window.

I could see Brody's car and part of the garage. I looked towards the back patio and their pool. I didn't see anything. I looked towards Brody's car one last time. Nothing. I walked away from the door, towards the bedroom. I stood in the doorway for a moment.

Do I tell Brody? I bit my bottom lip for a moment. No, then he's really going to go into protective mode. I watched as Brody stretched and sat up. "You're up..."

"I went to the restroom." I said softly.

"How are you feeling?" Brody asked as he got to his feet.

"I'm more sore today than yesterday." I looked down. He always has to sleep fucking shirtless.

"Well, then we will miss another day." Brody said.

"No, you're going to school." I met his eyes. "I will be ok."

"I don't feel comfortable leaving you alone." Brody walked closer to me.

"Are you afraid I'm going to snoop around your place?" I raised my brow.

"What? No, you're hurt, Sky." Brody said.

"Brody, it's Homecoming. You have to go to school to play in the game. I will be ok here. If I need anything I know how to walk to the main house and ask your mom."

Brody took a deep breath. "Keep your phone close to you. I'm going to have my mom come check on you from time to time. If you need to leave for whatever reason, tell my mom. Text me if you need anything at all."

I nodded as I listened to him. "Yes, dad." I rolled my eyes. "Please don't treat me like a kid."

"I'm sorry..." Brody huffed. "Since you seem to be more comfortable in my clothes, I'm giving you another shirt and more sweat pants."

"I have clothes." I folded my arms.

"Yet you didn't bother to change... I mean you slept in my jacket too." Brody said.

I looked down at his jacket. "I'm sore! I didn't feel like doing anything except laying down!" I snapped.

Brody chuckled. "I know." He walked out the door to his room. I turned slightly as I shook my head. I took his jacket off even though it hurt. When Brody came back I tossed it at him. "Hey!" He caught the jacket then looked at me. I laughed a little even though it hurt. "You're lucky you're sore. Otherwise I would have picked your ass up and slammed you on that bed." He placed his clothes on my head.

"Really?" I huffed and grabbed his clothes.

Brody smiled and walked back to his room. I closed the door to the guest room and switched pants first. Then carefully changed shirts. I checked my sides in the mirror and frowned. They are going to look worse before they start to get better.

I slowly walked to the door and opened it. Brody walked by as he was putting on his shirt and I had to look down. "Really..."

Brody stopped as he pulled his shirt down. "What? Like what you see?" I looked at Brody without saying anything. "I will take that as a yes." He chuckled. I rolled my eyes as I walked from the guest room. He followed me down the hall. "Are you sure you will be ok while I'm at school?"

I looked up at him. "I will be fine, Brody. You need to go so..." I paused as I thought about Ayden's message.

"Sky?" Brody said as he walked over to me. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." I met his eyes.

"Don't lie to me. What are you not telling me?"

"It's nothing." I folded my arms.

"I'm not stupid, Sky." Brody folded his arms.

"Brody, nothing is wrong. I'm not keeping anything from you." I said with annoyance.

"What did Ayden say?" Brody asked. I felt my heart drop as I kept my eyes on Brody's. "So, he texted you?" Brody closed the gap between us. He reached in one of the pockets and pulled my phone out.