Chapter 31

"But don't you..."

"I will be in the vet behind you." Ruka assured me. I climbed into the back of the ambulance and sat down.

Ruka, Brody, and I stood in the waiting room as they took Hiro back. I placed my hand on my mouth as I cried. Ruka put his arm around my shoulders. "He's going to be ok, sis."

"You have my number. Let me know how he is when you hear something." Brody said.

"You're not gonna stay?" I asked.

"I have something I need to do." Brody said, then walked away.

I watched him for a moment and then looked up at Ruka. "Where is he going, Ruka?"

"He didn't say." Ruka said softly.

"Ruka!" I snapped.

"I'm serious." His dark eyes met mine with a stone cold glare. "He didn't tell me what he was up to."

"You called him over to you because you found something. Did he say anything, then?"

"No." Ruka sighed. "He just looked pissed when he saw it."

"What was it?" I asked.

"Looked like a chunk of a front bumper. It was a shity blue."

I froze for a moment. "Do you have a photo of it?"

"Yeah." Ruka pulled his phone out and showed me.

My eyes widened. "Ayden..."

"Who is Ayden?"

"My psycho ex..." I huffed. Ruka raised an eyebrow at me. "He was abusive, and he thinks he owns me."

"And he hit my brother..." Ruka shook his head. "What the hell is with you and abusive guys?"

"Brody wasn't abusive..."

"Didn't he pick on you and shit?" Ruka asked. Of course Hiro told him. I sighed as I nodded. "So he was abusive, and the way he acted because you were with my brother says he has the same issues as this Ayden bastard."

"Excuse me? Are you family for Hiro?" The doctor asked.

"I'm his brother." Ruka fully faced the doctor.

"Your brother is very lucky. He has some bruised ribs and a few cuts on his arms, but nothing is broken, and he has a small concussion."

"Wait, how? I mean, I'm unbelievably grateful he's not hurt worse, but I don't understand how it's possible."

"If speed had been a factor, then I would say that his injuries would have been worse. It doesn't look like speed was a factor. And judging from the injuries he does have, it's almost like he bailed off the bike before it was hit."

Ruka and I stood motionless. "Then why was he unconscious?" I asked.

"Maybe after bailing, he hit his head hard enough to knock him out." Ruka looked at me.