Chapter 19 - Samael

Aurora detaches herself from me and makes her way over to Adrian and Dimitri. I know having those two as her guards is the only way she would feel comfortable with having guards in the first place. I know it was the right decision, but the beast inside me is raging with jealousy as I watch her hug them both in turn.

I'll just have to keep reminding myself that if I want her to have guards they need to be people she can trust, and she obviously trusts these two.

I clear my throat loudly and all three of them turn to look at me. "So, you have accepted my request?" Adrian nods, and Dimitri grins widely.

"Yeah, well, your man Seth mentioned a pay raise, a huge bedroom with a balcony, and something about a twenty-four-hour maid and food service... what was there not to accept, really?" Adrian elbows Dimitri in the ribs and Aurora giggles. Goddess fuck, I'm going to have to keep these idiots around forever. Or, until I figure out how to make Aurora giggle like that.

"Yes, those are some perks of the job. You both have to move into the castle since you will need to be close to Aurora at all times. But your rooms are free, and-"

Dimitri cuts me off, "They have balconies though, right?" he presses with eagerness.

I somehow manage not to roll my eyes at him, "Yes, they have balconies." I can't stop my smile from forming at his excitement over having a balcony. He high fives Adrian and Aurora and literally punches the air with joy.

"We'll take it," he exclaims.

Adrian is staring at Dimitri with amusement and shaking his head slightly. "Is it possible to discuss what exactly this job requires of us?" Adrian looks at me expectantly.

"Yes, follow me," I reply, taking Aurora's hand and leading the way to my council room.

I pull out the chair at the head of the table for Aurora to sit in. She is out of breath from the walk here. Her face is red, and she is holding her side in pain. I panic internally, it feels like there is no time to focus on helping her get healthy. So many things she wants to do over the next few weeks, and I need to ensure she gets through it all.

Adrian and Dimitri take the two chairs on Aurora's right, I'm about to sit at her left before changing my mind. "Uh, I have something to take care of. Give me one moment please." I kiss Aurora's cheek briefly and speed from the room.

It doesn't take me long to search the castle and locate Seth, who is walking down the hallway, away from the east lounge. "What are you doing right now?" I ask him.

"Well, I finally convinced Josephine and Delphine that just because your parents are announcing the new queen, does not mean we need double the food at tonight's banquet." He sighs and rubs his temples. "Why, what do you need?"

"Bring some food to the council room for Aurora. Tell Evelyn to make it top priority, I need it as soon as possible. Make sure there's fruit, protein, and snowberry juice. Also, water... And carbs. Get some pastries and a muffin, or two." I reel off what I need, and he nods.

"Ok, I'll be there in a few minutes." He disappears down the hall and I return to my council room, where Aurora is chatting happily with Adrian and Dimitri. I smile at her and take the chair on her left.

"Is everything OK?" she asks curiously.

I nod and lean over to kiss her cheek. Looking across the table, I begin explaining the responsibilities Adrian and Dimitri will have as Aurora's guards, "If you accept this job, then until Aurora gets to know her way around here and can trust some of my other guards, you two will be her protectors from dawn till dusk everyday. Unless I say otherwise."