Chapter 27 - Aurora

The next few days are relatively uneventful; On Sunday morning Samael has a private meeting with Heidi and Harlow, while I spend some time with Lilith before she leaves to go back home. I asked her why the whole family doesn't live here in the castle, and she said it's because her mom is from a coven in the south, and when her and Gideon retired from the crown, she moved them back down there; they live in a large manor on the coast now.

"It's where I was born," she says with a wistful look, "I love it here in the castle and wish I visited more often, but I can never leave the ocean for long... or the warmth."

"I get that. I spent my life in the Emberi Empire, and it snows there, but only in the winter," I look out the window, and take in the city covered in a layer of glistening white powder on the last day of summer.

I enjoy spending time with Lilith, she kind of feels like the sister I never knew I wanted. I ask her more about the darkness manipulation ability she has, and she demonstrates by causing all the torch flames along the walls to extinguish at once.

"Woah," I breathe out as we are plunged into darkness. "How do you do that?"

"I don't know really, I just will the shadows to take over the light, and it does." She sighs, and I can sense her frustration seeping out with her next words, "I'm supposed to be able to manipulate the shadows to do my bidding, but all I can ever manage is putting out some lights. If I try anything else... Well, you heard what my brother said the other night."

The torches burst into flames again, and I place a hand on Lilith's shoulder in what I hope is a comforting gesture, "I understand how hard it can be trying to control a part of you that can cause harm to people. But the things you can do; making night stretch into days, taking away someone's sight; it's... powerful." That's the only word I can use to describe it, I've never heard of an ability like hers, and it sounds so godlike, literally manipulating the shadows like she is their master.

She smiles at me, "Maybe, but until I can control it, I just feel dangerous."

"Tell me about it, since I've been here, I've killed two vampires, and almost killed the entire royal family." I give her a sideways glance, "Sorry about that by the way."

"Yeah, that was intense, but we were just glad you were fine after you fainted."

"I know, but I am still sorry. I just panicked, and, like you have difficulty with your darkness manipulation, I think I'm going to have a hard time with my blood magic." We both sigh, then laugh at our similar situations. The rest of my time with Lilith is spent making plans for Samael and me to visit them on the coast, so we can practice our abilities together and spend more time with each other.

Before long, Samael joins us, looking satisfied with whatever information Heidi and Harlow revealed to him, and we meet his parents in the entrance hall where a witch opens a portal for them to step through with Lilith.

After waving goodbye, I turn around facing Samael, Adrian, and Dimitri, "Is it time for lunch yet?" I ask, rubbing my hungry stomach.

Samael grabs my hand, "Let's go to the dining room and see what they have."

It is not time for lunch, but when the servers see us arrive, they alert the kitchen staff, who come through with a hearty turkey soup, soft buttery rolls, and a warm piece of apple pie, topped with vanilla ice cream and drizzled with caramel for dessert.

"This is the best fucking thing I've ever tasted," I declare loudly, scraping the last piece of pie crust off my plate.

Samael looks me dead in the eyes before announcing proudly, "I've tasted better."