Chapter 22 - Samael

I rush from the room, wanting to make it back to Aurora as fast as possible, and cross the castle, arriving in the kitchens in no time at all. Evelyn is gone for the night but one of her team leads and a few cleaning staff are still here. The rest of the workers are probably still tending to the banquet.

"Holy Nyx, you're the king."

I give the young kitchen worker a smile. "Yes, I know I do not usually come here directly, but I have a special request."

The girl straightens up importantly. "Yes, of course. Anything you like!"

"What is your name?" I ask her.

Her eyes widen, "Sibyl, your highness. Though most people call me Sibby," she chuckles awkwardly.

"Ok Sibby, may I please make a request to be delivered to my room? My new queen is very hungry after a long night."

"Of course, your highness! What's her favourite food? I can whip it up in no time!" Her wide eyes are eager, she picks up an apron off the counter and ties it around her waist hurriedly.

"This may be an odd question, but do you happen to know some of the meals they serve over at the prison?" I ask, hoping she might know, though I see no reason why she would. Aurora said she loved the food there, I want her to have it again if I can.

To my surprise, Sibby nods enthusiastically. "Yes I do! My brother is a guard there. The guards eat the same food as the prisoners, and he always goes on about the stuffed turkey breast. We make it here as well, just a better-quality version, I guess, and uh, fancier."

My smile widens, "May I have two servings delivered to my room, with something chocolatey for dessert. Oh, and a pitcher of snowberry juice, please?"

"Of course, your highness! It will be sent up shortly." Sibby rushes into the large pantry behind her and gets to work, a few of the other workers in the room run over and start helping her. I call out a thankyou to her, but she doesn't seem to hear it, completely immersed in her task.

I speed back to my room, finding Aurora sitting on the floor in front of the fire, her dress fluffed out around her. She turns to look at me as I walk toward her, and she stands up beaming. "Where did you go?"

"I ordered some food," I say, leading her into the closet.

"Woah," she mutters, looking around the room at all the clothes hanging around the walls for her. "Who did you say picked all this out?" her fingers trail along the material of a long, light pink sweater dress.

"Lilith, Rhiannon and Briannon," I inform her, hoping she likes the selection.

"Remind me to thank them. This is amazing." She walks around the closet, looking through her new wardrobe.

I open the drawers of her dresser, "In here are some bras and underwear, also pyjama sets, while the night slips are hung up here." I point to the silky little night dresses hung above the dresser.

She looks at all her choices, I can see the overwhelming conflict in her eyes, never having had a choice must make suddenly having an abundance of choices more difficult. It's summer and the fire in the room is warm, so I grab one of the night slips off a hanger and lay it on the dresser.

"Come here baby," I say, reaching out to take her hand. She stands in front of me, and I turn her around so she's reflected in the mirror. I begin pulling at the ties keeping her dress together, slowly undoing them, revealing the soft, delicate skin of her back.

I take her chin in my fingers, turning her face so she is staring at herself in the mirror. "Look at how beautiful you are," I whisper in her ear, causing goosebumps to spread across her neck.