Chapter 38 - Aurora

A girl runs around the corner from the kitchen, her blonde hair askew. When she spots us, she opens her mouth preparing to scream. I use my speed to run to her, clamping a hand over her mouth, and stopping her from making a sound.

She looks up at me with wide fearful eyes, and I realize she looks to be about my age... and Gregory and Petra's kids are still in their early teens.

"Are you..." I don't know what her situation is, or why she is here, but I get the feeling it's not good. "Do you need help?" I ask her, hoping she will trust me even though she has no reason to.

My hand is still tight over her mouth, so she nods slowly. I glance back at Samael who just shrugs. Fuck. I wasn't anticipating this. Though after what Dr. Maddox revealed to me last night about Gregory and Petra's other girls... I should have assumed they wouldn't end it with me.

"I'm going to remove my hand, but if you make a sound, I will make you regret it," I warn her.

"Goddess, Aurora, threatening her won't make her trust you any easier," Danika scolds me.

"I don't know who she is, what if I don't want her to trust me?" I argue back.

Danika sighs, "she's just a scared girl, look at the bruises on her."

I trail my eyes up and down the girl; she's dressed in the same type of outfit I would wear here, bare feet, and a white cotton dress, with no bra allowed underneath. I'm also unable to ignore the discoloured skin all over her body, accompanied by cuts and scratch marks.

"What's your name?" I ask her, slowly pulling my hand away from her mouth.

"Inez," she says in barely a whisper.

"I can help you Inez. I'm here to kill them, and I can send you to people who can take care of you until I'm done," I inform her, and her wide eyes fill with tears.

She looks at me hopefully, but doubt clouds her vision as she takes me in, "What are you?"

"Someone who can help you, do you want me to help you or not?" I try to keep my tone even, but I don't exactly have all day here.

"Yes. Please." Her broken voice tugs at a deep sadness inside me, how many young girls are kept locked up in manors like this all over the city? My anger rises by the second and I'm itching to get my hands on the Stallard's.

"Samael, can you take her back to the house?" I ask him, and he looks at me like I'm crazy, "What?" I ask, throwing my hands up.

"No fucking way I'm leaving you here alone," he says sternly.

"Um, Gregory isn't home, it's just Petra here," Inez pips up.

I smile at her, "I know. He's at work and will be home in a couple of hours for lunch, just like every other day. And the kids are most likely with Petra's sister, am I right?" I ask Inez.

"Yeah... how do you know that?" She looks at me in confusion.

"Because Gregory and Petra don't take those brats unless they absolutely have to. I lived here for over a year, and I only met them a handful of times."

"You lived here too?" she asks, completely taken aback.

"Yeah, I did," we share a look of understanding, then she nods, and I know I have her trust. I narrow my eyes at my mate, "Like I said, I lived here for more than a year, I know my way around this place, and I know I can handle Petra on my own. Please, take Inez back to the guys."

Samael groans, "Fine." He takes his shirt off, rather aggressively, and his wings rip through his skin without warning.

"Jesus fucking Christ!" Inez cries out, hiding behind me.