27

At The Floating Rib, Jackson and Sam and were catching up over a drink. "How are you?" Jackson asked his friend. He knew she was doing okay since being home but he wanted to know more.

"To be honest, I feel a little distant." Sam spoke carefully but truthfully.

"From what?" He asked her.

"From you." She told him, catching his attention. "Since you and Kristina broke up and with me going to prison- I don't know, I just feel like we drifted and haven't connected."

"I'm sorry." Jackson apologized, realizing what she's saying is right. They really haven't connected since things went south with Kristina. "I guess I've been so focused on myself lately, I've failed to be intentional with you."

"I get it. There's been a lot going on- for the both of us." Sam reasoned with him, "and maybe I didn't communicate correctly that if things didn't work out with Kristina- that I would still be there for you. Obviously, she's my sister- she comes first but I do love you, Jackson." She reassured her friend, filling in the hole their friendship had been lacking.

"Thanks, Sammy." Jackson nodded, "I love you too." He said as they brought their drinks together for a cheers.

After a moment, Jackson's gaze shifted over as Elizabeth walked in with some friends from work, she caught his gaze and returned it with a smile. Sam glanced around to see who had caught his eye, surprised to see Elizabeth at the end of his gaze.

"Did I miss something?" Sam asked him, catching his attention back to her.

"What?" Jackson asked her.

"The way you were looking at Elizabeth just now." Sam pointed out in disbelief.

"We're friends. I've been training Cameron at the gym for a while now and we became friends." Jackson shrugged, not making a big deal from it.

"Just friends? Nothing's going on between you two?" Sam questioned him, eyeing him inquisitively knowing there was more to it.

"We kissed on New Year's Eve but that's it." Jackson confessed, sipping his beer.

"Jackson..." Sam sighed, shaking her head. Little did he know the long history list she has with Elizabeth.

"We were drinking and feeling rejected because we both couldn't be with the person we wanted to be with. You know how it goes? Heat of the moment on New Year's Eve? It happens." Jackson explained, "We both agreed that's all it was."

"But it could be more if you let it?" Sam questioned, poking to see if he wanted to be more than friends with her.

"Sure but it's not going to happen. I'm not going to drag Elizabeth into my life more than she is right now. She's a friend to talk to when needed. That's all." Jackson assured his friend, "I'm in love with your sister, Sam. I don't want to be with anyone else." It was in that moment that Sam realized how much Jackson truly does care for Kristina. Seeing that he wasn't turning to someone else for a distraction, she could see even more of how dedicated he was to making things right.

-

Jackson entered Sonny's cafe as he was called there by Jason. He was escorted to Sonny's office by a guard before entered. All he was told was that they needed to speak with him.

"We've got news for you, Jackson." Sonny greeted the man with a devious smile. "Don't worry, I think you'll be glad to hear this." Jackson stayed silent and nodded as he glanced at Jason who was delivering his infamous stone cold stare.

"Yes sir?" Jackson asked respectfully, wanting to show as much honor as he could knowing Sonny has so much power over him.

"Ava's in prison. Your situation with her is taken care of." Sonny informed the man, seeing the slight relief cross his face as he realized what was spoke. "You don't need to worry about your endeavors with her anymore. Or me for that matter."