Chapter 3

Ever since Andy and I went out to dinner two weeks ago, he had come into the bar every night, always leaving a good tip. "Mr. Barber, your whiskey." "Thank you Rory." He smiled brightly at me.

Andy and I had gotten to know each other really well and I felt safe with him, which is something I hadn't felt in a while. "Come to the diner with me tonight?" "I would love to, Andy, but-" "AURORA! Beer me." Brian yells, walking into the bar, followed closely by Nate and Cody.  "Because of that." I nod and give him an apologetic smile before pulling out three bottled beers from the cooler. "Thank you sleeping beauty." Brian leans over, giving me a kiss on the cheek before taking the bottles over to the table with Cody and Nate. I wipe my face with the back of my hand and roll my eyes at Andy. He laughs a little with a smirk.

"So, how's Jacob?" "He's good. He likes it here." I smile widely at Andy, "and you? Do you like it here?" "I do. I like the company here as well." A blush creeps across my cheeks and I smile at him. I see Nate walking up to the bar and quickly look away from Andy and make myself busy. Nate leans against the counter and gives Andy the side eye. "Rora? When's your shift over?" I glance at him as I make a drink for a customer. "10. Like always." "Brian, Cody, and I are headed to a party. Be ready at 10pm." I sigh and look up at him, "Nate, you know I hate those parties." "You're coming, I don't really give a shit what you want." He said lowly. "Hey man. That's no way to treat your girlfriend." Andy speaks up and turns towards Nate.

"Why don't you mind your own business, asshole." He growls and looks back at me. I give Andy a pleading look but he ignores it. "No. Have some fucking respect. She said she didn't want to go." Nate stands up from leaning on the bar so he's towering over Andy, although if Andy stood up Nate wouldn't be much taller. Nate then scoffs, "I see you in here all the time. I can see the way you smile around my girlfriend. Why? Wife not giving it up at home so you have to come in here and flirt with the hot younger bartenders." "Nate stop, please." I plead with him but he shoots a glare in my direction. "If you don't treat her with more respect, someone will." I see Nate's jaw clench and his hands ball into fists. "Someone like you?" "Maybe."

It was almost like slow motion. Nate lifts his fist and punches Andy in the jaw. I yelled at Nate as I watched Andy's fist land on Nate's cheek. Punches were being thrown until some of the other regular customers jump in, separating the two.

"NATHANIEL! Get the hell out of my bar! Now!" Jim runs out, yelling. "You know the rules. Don't start fist fights in my bar. OUT!" Jim points to the door and Nate glares at me and storms out of the bar, Brian and Cody following. I run around from the counter to Andy, "Andy I'm so sorry." I take his face in my hands and examine his jaw where Nate punched. I know Nate can hit hard. He looked from my eyes to my lips before Jim came back with some ice. "Here, you go." "Thank you, Jim." I took the ice and pressed it gently against his jaw.

"Aurora, tell Nate he has one more strike before he's banned from my bar." I nod and look back at Andy, holding the ice to his face. "Come with me to the diner tonight after your shift." He says. I glance away from Andy at the door. If I go home, I know what will likely be waiting for me. A pissed off and angry Nate. I know I shouldn't but I can't help the way I feel around Andy. It just feels right. I smile slightly and nod, "Okay."

After my shift ended, Andy drove us to the diner we had been coming to after my shift some days. At least only the days I worked with Mel. I'd been telling Nate I was grabbing a late dinner with Mel once our shift ended. So far he believed it, as long as I was home by midnight.

"I can't believe you threw up in front of the entire school!" Andy laughed loudly after I just told him about the time I threw up in front of the entire school during our school musical. "I had food poisoning!! I couldn't help it!" I laughed and grabbed a fry off of his plate. "Hey!" He laughed and grabbed my hand before I could put the fry in my mouth. He took the fry from my hand but kept a hold of my hand. He held up the fry to my mouth with his other hand and I bit it. I looked down at our hands and Andy pulled his away quickly. "I'm sorry." "It's okay." I smiled and reached back over to grab his hand.