Chapter 37

"Mr. Barber, your son called. Your wife is in labor." One of the courthouse legal receptionists said as she approached me. I immediately felt a mixture of excitement and panic course through me.

Attempting to mask my urgency, I stood up and looked at the judge, "Your Honor, I apologize for the disruption, but I've just received news that my wife has gone into labor. I need to be there with her."

"Of course, Mr. Barber." The judge said. "Thank you." I said. I knew Mark could handle this alone... we had been anticipating that this could happen, so I quickly gathered my belongings and walked swiftly out of the courtroom where I could quickly call Aurora. I dialed Aurora's number quickly and pressed the phone to my ear as I hurriedly walked towards the parking garage where my car was. Jake however answered the phone, which made sense because Aurora was probably busy with other things. "Dad?!"

"Hey Jake, how's Aurora??" I questioned.

"In pain." He said. I heard a little shuffle followed by a slight whine and quickly Aurora had the phone. "Andy??" She breathed out. "Rory, sweetheart, how are you doing??" I asked, my voice filled with a blend of excitement and concern. "He's coming, Andy. Where are you??" She said, her voice slightly breathless and pained. "I just left the courthouse, sweetheart. I'll be there as soon as I can. Just hang in there, okay? You're doing amazing." I said, trying to encourage her. "Please hurry." She whined. "I will, I promise." I said.

"Dad?" Jakes voice came through the phone once again. "Jake, just let her squeeze your hand and encourage her. I'll be there soon, okay?" "Okay. I will." Jake replied and I hung up before hurriedly driving to the hospital.

Once I got there, I ran inside and up to the receptionist desk. "Hi! My son brought my wife, Aurora Barber in?! She's in labor." The receptionist smiled at me and stood up. "Yes, right this way Mr. Barber." She said, leading me towards the room Aurora was in.

Once I walked in, my eyes met Aurora's. "Andy!" She said. "Hey baby." I quickly approached her on the bed and pushed some hair out of her face. "How are you feeling, sweetheart?" I asked. "Good." She whispered. Just then a doctor walked into the room.

"Mr. Barber?" He said. "Yes, hi. Sorry I'm late, I was in court." I said, shaking his hand. "Not to worry. I'm here to check on Aurora. She was in quite a bit of pain from contractions, and we had given her the epidural about 15 minutes ago and she was about 5cm dilated." He explained and I nodded. He spoke to Aurora for a few minutes and I looked at Jake. "Thank you for bringing her here." I said, patting his shoulder. "Of course, dad." He smiled.

"We're going to take her, I think she's ready to push soon." The doctor said and I nodded. "I'll wait here, you go with her." Jake said with a smile. I nodded and held Aurora's hand as the wheeled her out of the room and into a delivery room.

-

"You did amazing, sweetheart." I whispered, kissing Aurora's head, as we waited for the doctors to check over Phillip. Aurora was exhausted from the birth but she did an amazing job. I kept my fingers laced with hers until a nurse walked over with Phillip, clean, and wrapped in a blue blanket.

"Here's your son." She whispered softly, handing him to Aurora whose face completely lit up. "Hi..." She whispered, holding him close to her chest. "Andy, he's so beautiful."

"He is, sweetheart, you did such a good job." I kissed her head again and touched, Phillip's head gently. His features almost seemed like a perfect blend of Aurora and I. Aurora's eyes were filled with so much joy at the little bundle of life we created together. Her voice, a delicate whisper, reached my ears as she spoke to him for the first time. It was a moment that would forever be etched into my memory.