Chapter 22

A/N: I apologize for the abrupt hiatus I had on this story!! I was focused on trying to finish my Steve story - which is completed if you'd like to read it :) but anyway, this story is back! So... with that being said buckle your seatbelts!! 😁

Aurora's POV

Weeks passed and things were basically back to normal. Andy had taken Jake back to their house now that things calmed down but we still almost always spent the night with one another. He also upped his home security just in case Nate was desperate enough to break in. Also partially for Jake's safety, just in case.

Much to my dismay, Pete had stuck around and I saw him more around the town and in the bar but he was for the most part fine. I didn't know if it was possible for him to get more sleezy out of highschool but somehow he did. Maybe it was just the goatee.

He sat in front of me once again, a beer in one hand letting the condensation create rings on the bar top. "My company is going under." He mumbled, his eyes meeting mine. "Sorry to hear that." He nods and leans back in the chair. "Yea. Me too. Can't get any doctors to write a script for this new drug. They say it's too dangerous or some dumb shit like that." I try to act like I give a shit about what he's saying but I just don't and it shows on my face.

"Get a new job." I said, wiping down the bar top with a wet rag. "Well, I'm working on that right now. This thing I've got lined up is supposed to pay really well."

"Good for you, Pete." I mumble. I leave him alone at the bar and walk around collecting empty glasses and taking refill orders.

"How's the lawyer?"

I wanted to roll my eyes. Did this man ever shut up or take a hint. "He's fine." Pete nodded and took a sip of his beer. "I ran into Nate the other day. First time I'd seen him in years." My body tensed slightly. Why was he bringing this up? "Really?" I said, trying to remain calm.

"Yup. Didn't talk for very long but he was worried about you. Said that guy convinced you to leave him and was trying to trap you?" Of course Nate said that. Because when did he actually ever tell the truth?

"That's not true. I left Nate for many reasons. One of them being the mental and physical abuse I endured daily." I poured a beer and passed it off to a waiting customer. "Andy didn't trap me. Andy helped me."

Pete opened his mouth, probably to say something stupid, but shut it when he caught my glare.

"You guys living together?" Pete asked. "Do you have an off switch?" I snapped. He held up his hands, "chill out princess, I'm just making conversation. I don't know anyone here."

"Then make friends or go back to wherever you came from, Pete." He huffed and finished off his beer. "Florida. I was living in Florida. I'll take another." He mumbled. I grabbed him a bottle and slid it over to him.

"No we don't live together." He nodded and started nursing the beer. "He coming in tonight?" Another pointless question. "No. He's at a work event most of the night. Why?"

"Just wanted to apologize for my comments." He shrugged. "I'll pass that along." Pete finished up his drink and set some cash down on the bar top. "Keep the change." He turned on his heel and walked out of the bar. I closed out his tab and pocketed the rest of the money.

The rest of the evening dragged on. It was just Jim and I tonight and it was slow. Painfully slow. "Rory, let's close up early. I texted Jess and Mads not to come in for their shift." Jim said, coming out of the office. "You sure?" I asked him. He sighed and looked around. "Yea. It's a slow Wednesday." I nodded and walked around the bar, cleaning up and putting the chairs on top of the tables after wiping them down. Once everything was cleaned up and ready for the opening shift tomorrow, Jim and I walked out back where he locked up. "See you tomorrow, Rory. Get home safe."