Loss

Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

Joan's Charger roars down the road. She drives down to her Uncle Bobby's. Joan looked at her map making sure she was heading the right way. She looked up back at the road. She smiled knowing she was home.

She pulled up to Bobby's house. She saw him on the porch. Joan turned the car off and stepped out. Bobby stood up. She walked up at him and hugged him.
"Joan." Bobby said. She looked at him confused.
"What did you need me for?" She asked. Bobby broke the hug and looked her in the eyes.
"Carlos passed." He said. Joan's face fell.
"How?" She asked.
"A car accident. He was in his van." Bobby sat down. Joan shook her head.
"No. No he..." she sat on the porch steps. Tears fell down her face.

A week later. A truck goes past a neon sign that says Hotel, behind a building that says The Lynnwood Inn. The Impala is parked in front.
In a restaurant, a few people sit. There is a mostly empty plate in front of Dean, who is circling obituaries in a newspaper. Dean circles an obituary that reads: Carlton, Sophie -The Carlton family is sad to announce the death of their beloved daughter in a tragic swimming accident. Sophie Carlton, 18, was having her... Lake Manitoc WI, an ... suddenly ...

An attractive waitress, whose nametag says Wendy, approaches.
"Can I get you anything else?" The waitress asked with a smile.
Dean looks up and grins around the pen he's chewing on. Sam comes over and sits down.
"Just the check, please." Sam looked up at the waitress
"Okay." She smiled.
Wendy walks away. Dean drops his head, then looks at Sam.
"You know, Sam, we are allowed to have fun once in a while." Dean said.
He points to Wendy walking away.
"That's fun." Dean finished.
Sam looks at him. Dean hands Sam the newspaper. "Here, take a look at this, I think I got one." Sam looked at what Dean was showing him. "Lake Manitoc, Wisconsin. Last week Sophie Carlton, eighteen, walks into the lake, doesn't walk out. Authorities dragged the water; nothing." Dean said. "Sophie Carlton is the third Lake Manitoc drowning this year. None of the other bodies were found either. They had a funeral two days ago." He finished.
"A funeral?" Sam asked.
"Yeah, it's weird, they buried an empty coffin. For, uh, closure or whatever." Dean sat back.
"Closure? What closure? People don't just disappear, Dean. Other people just stop looking for them." Sam said.
"Something you want to say to me?" Dean asked.
"The trail for Dad. It's getting colder every day." Sam leaned forward.
"Exactly. So what are we supposed to do?" Dean said.
"I don't know. Something." Sam said. "Anything." Sam leaned back.
"You know what? I'm sick of this attitude. You don't think I wanna find Dad as much as you do?" Dean shook his head.
"Yeah, I know you do, it's just..." Sam was cut off by Dean.
"I'm the one that's been with him every single day for the past two years, while you've been off to college going to pep rallies." Dean said. "We will find Dad, but until then, we're gonna kill everything bad between here and there. Okay?" Dean looked away.

Sam rolls his eyes. Wendy walks by, distracting Dean.
"All right, Lake Manitoc." Sam said. Dean wasn't paying attention. "Hey!" Sam called. Dean returns his attention to Sam.
"Huh?" Dean asked.
"How far?" Sam said.

They walked out to the car. Sam got in the passenger seat. Dean leaned on the hood dialing Joan's number. All he got was her voicemail.
"Hi this is Joan Smith. If you need to contact me, leave a message at the tone. If this is an emergency call Bobby singer at 605-555-1950." He heard Joan say. He sighed. He heard the tone for the voicemail.
"Hi, Joey. It's Dean. I was just checking in. Hopefully you okay. I.. we miss ya. Call me back." Dean left the message.

He pushed himself off the car, walking to the driver's side. He took his seat.
"Call Joan?" Sam asked looking at the map. There was no answer except Dean starting the car. Sam looked at his brother. "No answer?" He asked again. Dean shook his head.
"No, voicemail." Dean said.

Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

Joan moved some books around. A phone rang. Joan looked for the phone finding it to be hers.
"Hello?" She said.
"Hey hunny, I'll be back in a little can you get me the stuff on exorcisms. A friend needs it." She heard Bobby say.
"Yeah, I'll get on it." She said. "I'm organizing so it might be a little messy when you get back." She said.
"Isn't it already." Bobby joked. Joan chuckled.
"See ya, Bobby." She ended the call.
A voice mail popped up on her phone. She let it play.
"Hi, Joey. It's Dean. I was just checking in. Hopefully you okay. I.. we miss ya. Call me back." She listened to Dean. She wanted to call back, but didn't know if he would answer. So she toughened up and called.
It rang.

Lake Manitoc, Wisconsin

Dean sat in the impala as Sam bought gas to fill the car. Dean lied back listening to 'Ain't no mountain high enough'. His phone rang. Dean jumped up answering it quickly hoping it was his dad.
"Hello?" Dean said.
"Dean?" He heard Joan ask. He relaxed back.
"Hey Joey. You okay?" He asked.
Joan sat down.
"I got your voicemail." She paused. "Did you need me?" She asked.
"No. Uh, Sam wanted to make sure you got to Bobby's alright. You know how he is. Always worrying." Dean said falsely. He rolled his eyes at himself, wishing he'd just be honest.
"Yeah. He was always trying to be a few steps ahead. Especially with you and your dad." He heard Joan chuckle. "You always got into trouble."
"Yeah." He sighed with a smile. "Well, how's Bobby?" Dean asked.
"He's alright. Helping out some of his friends." She sighed. "I'm stuck here organizing his mess of a house."
"Joan." Dean said, seriously.
"Yeah." He heard Joan say.
"If we called, Me or Sam and we needed you..." he paused. "Would you?" He asked.
"Yeah. Why wouldn't I? You know I'd be packed and already be on the road." She smiled. "Because I know you'd do the same, no questions asked."
"Alright." Dean smiled. "I'll talk to you later."
"Yeah." They both hung up.