On The Road

Dean and Sam walk out of the motel. Dean opens the car door and Sam tosses a duffel in.
"Look, we're not gonna save everybody." Sam told Dean.
"I know." Dean sighed. Joan walked up behind Dean and patted his shoulder.  He turned around and smiled.
"Sam, Dean." Andrea called out.
Andrea walks up with Lucas.
"Hey." The two brothers say. They walked up closer to the mother and her son. Joan leaned on Baby.
"We're glad we caught you. We just, um, we made you lunch for the road." Andrea smiled.  Lucas is carrying a tray of sandwiches. "Lucas insisted on making the sandwiches himself."
"Can I give it to them now?" Lucas whispers. Joan's heart melted when she heard the boy. She knew Dean's did too.
"Of course." Andrea smiled at her son.

Andrea smiles and kisses Lucas' head.
"Come on, Lucas, let's load this into the car." Dean walked with Lucas. The boy looked up at Joan and smiled.  Dean pulled her with them.
"Hi, Joey." Lucas said. Joan smiled.
"Hi, Lucas." Joan patted his head.
"I drew you this." Lucas handed Joan a picture. She squatted to his height. He pointed to the stick figures. "That's me and mommy." He pointed. "That Sam, Dean, and you." He smiled.
"Thank you. I love it." Joan said. Dean pulled something from the front seat.
"Alright." Dean started. The two looked up at him. He squatted down.
"This was my favorite thing when I was your age. Helped me a lot when I was scared." Dean fiddled with a small box. "My mom gave it to me on my fourth birthday. You're gonna have to take care of it for me." Lucas nodded. Dean smiled. "Here." Dean handed the boy a Led Zeppelin cassette.
"So now ya could rock to Zeppelin." Joan said with a chuckle.
"So can I get a 'Zeppelin Rules!'?" Dean asked.
"ZEPPELIN RULES!" Lucas said.
Dean puts the sandwiches in the car. Then sits facing Joan and Lucas
"All right, if you're gonna be talking now, this is a very important phrase, so I want you to repeat it one more time."
"Zeppelin rules!" Lucas repeats.
"That's right. Up high." Dean holds his hand up for a high-five. Lucas obliges, grinning. "You take care of your mom, okay?" Dean said.
"All right." Lucas smiled.
Andrea comes up and kisses Dean.
"Thank you." Andrea said.  Dean thinks a minute, then scratches his head and goes around the car. Andrea looked at Joan. "Thank you." Joan nodded getting in her car.
"Sam, move your ass. We're gonna run out of daylight before we hit the road." Dean said.
Dean gets in the car, then Sam. Bad Company's "Movin' On" starts to play when Dean starts the engine.
Sam and Dean smile at Andrea and Lucas waving goodbye. Joan honked her horn, making Lucas laugh.
The Impala and Charger drive on.

In a motel room, Dean is asleep on his stomach. Joan was passed out on the other bed. As the door opens, Dean awakens and slips a hand under his pillow for a weapon. As he turns to look, he sees Sam entering, carrying coffee and pastries.
"Morning, sunshine." Sam smiled.
"What time is it?" Dean rubbed his eyes. He looked over at Joan who was still sleeping.
"Uh, it's about five forty-five." Sam checked his watch.
"In the morning?" Dean groaned.
"Yep." Sam said putting down the coffee
"Where does the day go?" Dean sits up. "Did you get any sleep last night?" Dean asked.
"Yeah, I grabbed a couple hours. After all that bickering with Joan on who got the bed." Sam laughed.
"Liar. 'Cause I was up at three, and you were watching a George Foreman infomercial." Dean gave a bitchface.
"Hey, what can I say? It's riveting TV." Sam lied.
"When was the last time you got a good night's sleep?" Dean continued.
"I don't know, a little while, I guess. It's not a big deal." Sam said.
"Yeah, it is." Dean argued.
"Look, I appreciate your concern.." Dean spoke up.
"Oh, I'm not concerned about you. It's your job to keep my ass alive, so I need you sharp." Dean said. They bickering woke Joan up. Sam shrugs.
"Seriously, are you still having nightmares about Jess?" Dean asked.
"Sam crosses the room, sits on the edge of Joan's bed, and hands a coffee to Dean and Joan, who rubbed her eyes..
"Yeah. But it's not just her. It's everything. I just forgot, you know? This job. Man, it gets to you." Sam shook his head.
"You can't let it. You can't bring it home like that." Dean took a sip of the coffee.
"So, what? All this it...never keeps you up at night?" Sam asked.
Dean shakes his head. Dean looked at Joan. She didn't answer.
"Never? You're never afraid?" He asked the both.
"No, not really. Joan slept like a baby all night." Dean chuckled. Joan rolled her eyes. Sam reaches under Dean's pillow to pull out a large hunting knife and holds it up as evidence. Dean takes the knife back.
"That's not fear. That is precaution." Dean argued. "Joan has one too." Dean pointed at Joan like a four year old.
"Yeah like you said protection. At least I know how to use it." Joan argued.
"Oh sure..." Sam stopped their argument.
"All right, whatever. I'm too tired to argue. Or listen to you act like an old married couple." Sam walked away. Dean gave Joan a bitchy face.
"Ass." She spitefully said.
"Dick." He countered. She whipped her pillow at him, knocking him backwards.

Dean's phone rings. He answers it.
"Hello?" Dean said.
"Dean, it's, uh, it's Jerry Panowski. You and your dad helped me out a couple years back."  Jerry said.
"Oh, right, yeah. Up in Kittanning, Pennsylvania, the poltergeist thing. It's not back, is it?" Dean asked .
"No. No. Thank god, no. But it's something else, and...uh, I think it could be a lot worse." Jerry informed.
"What is it?" Dean asked.
"Can we talk in person?" Jerry asked sincerely.  Joan looked at Dean confused. So does Sam.