The Phantom Flyer

The Impala and Charger drive along a road. They arrive at a hanger.

"Thanks for making the trip so quick. I ought to be doing you guys a favor, not the other way around. Dean and your dad really helped me out." Jerry said to Sam.
"Yeah, he told me. It was a poltergeist?" Sam spoke.
"Poltergeist? Man, I loved that movie." A employee walked by.
"Hey, nobody's talking to you. Keep walking." Jerry yelled, making the three jump. "Damn right it was a poltergeist, practically tore our house apart." Jerry said calmly. "Tell you something, if it wasn't for you and your dad, I probably wouldn't be alive. Your dad said you were off at college. Is that right?" Jerry asked. Sam nodded.
"Yeah, I was. I'm-taking some time off." Sam explained.
"Well, he was real proud of you. I could tell. He talked about you all the time." Jerry smiled.
"He did?" Sam asked.
"Yeah, you bet he did. Oh, hey, you know I tried to get a hold of him, but I couldn't. How's he doing, anyway?" Jerry walked backwards.
"He's, um, wrapped up in a job right now." Dean lied.
"You." He pointed at Joan. "I never met you before." Jerry smiled.
"I'm Joan Smith." She greeted herself.
"A like Smith and Wesson?" Jerry joked. Joan laughed.
"Yeah. My mom would joke about that because she was a Wesson." Joan explained.
"Oh wow. That's really interesting. Smith and Wesson, then Winchesters." They all laughed.
"Well, I got something I want you guys to hear." Jerry spoke seriously.

They all sat in Jerry's office.
"I listened to this. And, well, it sounded like it was up your alley." Jerry said. Jerry puts a CD in a drive.
"Normally I wouldn't have access to this. It's the cockpit voice recorder for United Britannia flight 2485. It was one of ours." Jerry explains.
"Mayday! Mayday! Repeat! This is United Britania 2485-immediate instruction help! United Britanis 2485, I copy your message-May be experiencing some mechanical failure..." They all listened to the recording. There is a loud whooshing sound. "Took off from here, crashed about two hundred miles south. Now, they're saying mechanical failure. Cabin depressurized somehow. Nobody knows why." Jerry looked at the three. "Over a hundred people on board. Only seven got out alive. Pilot was one. His name is Chuck Lambert." Jerry informed. "He's a good friend of mine. Chuck is, uh...well, he's pretty broken up about it. Like it was his fault."
"You don't think it was?" Sam asked.
"No, I don't." Jerry said.
"Jerry, we're gonna need passenger manifests, um, a list of survivors." Joan informed.
"All righty" Jerry smiled.
"And, uh, any way we can take a look at the wreckage?" Dean asked.
"The other stuff is no problem. But the wreckage...fellas, the NTSB has it locked down in an evidence warehouse. No way I've got that kind of clearance." Jerry said. Dean frowns.
"No problem." Joan said, already having a plan.

Sam is waiting by the car outside a Copy Jack. As Dean and Joan exist, an attractive woman enters.
"Hey" she said to Dean.
"Hi." Dean smiled. Joan dragged him.
"Come on Romeo." Joan said.
"You've been in there forever." Sam said to the two as they got closer to the car. Dean holds up two IDs.
"You can't rush perfection." Dean smirked.
"Homeland Security?" Sam asked. Sam takes one of the IDs. "That's pretty illegal, even for us." Sam looked up at the two.
"Joan thought of it. It's something new. You know? People haven't seen it a thousand times." Dean said. They get in the car.
"All right, so, what do you got?" Dean asked.
"Well, there's definitely EVP on the cockpit voice recorder." Sam said.
"Yeah?" Dean and Joan asked.
"Listen." Sam plays the tape, which has been edited to pull out a scratchy voice.
"No survivors!" The voice said.
""No survivors"? What's that supposed to mean? There were seven survivors." Dean said.
"Got me." Sam said. Joan leaned back. Dean saw her through the rearview mirror.
"Joan, what are you thinking?" Dean asked. She looked up.
"There's a long history of spirits and death omens on planes and ships, like phantom travelers." Joan said.
"Mm-hmm." Dean hummed.
"Or remember flight 401?" Joan asked.
"Right. The one that crashed, the airline salvaged some of its parts, put it in other planes, then the spirit of the pilot and copilot haunted those flights." Dean said.
"Right." Joan said leaning forward.
"Maybe we got a similar deal." Sam said. Joan thought about it.
"All right, so, survivors, which one do you want to talk to first?" Dean looked looked at Sam for a second.
"Third on the list: Max Jaffey." Sam said.
"Why him?" Dean asked.
"Well, for one, he's from around here. And two, if anyone saw anything weird, he did." Sam explained.
"What makes you say that?" Joan asked.
"Well, I spoke to his mother." Sam said.

The Impala is parked in front of the gate to a building with a sign out front reading Riverfront Psychiatric Hospital.

Max is walking with a cane between the three.
"I don't understand. I already spoke with Homeland Security." Max said.
"Right. Some new information has come up. So if you could just answer a couple questions..." Dean said.
"Just before the plane went down, did you notice anything...unusual?" Sam spoke up.
"Like what?" Max asked.
"Strange lights, weird noises, maybe. Voices." Joan said.
"No, nothing." Max shook his head.
"Mr. Joffey..." Dean said mispronouncing the boys name.
"Jaffey." Max corrected.
"Jaffey. You checked yourself in here, right?" Dean asked. Max nods. "Can I ask why?"
"I was a little stressed. I survived a plane crash." Max explained like it was obvious.
"Uh huh. And that's what terrified you? That's what you were afraid of?" Dean dug deeper.
"I...I don't want to talk about this anymore." Max sounded scared.
"Maybe you did see something up there. We need to know what. It will help up." Joan said holding his hand.
"No. No, I was...delusional. Seeing things." Max cried.
"He was seeing things." Dean said calmly to Joan.
"It's okay. Then just tell us what you thought you saw, please." Joan pleaded.
"There was...this-man. And, uh, he had these...eyes-these, uh...black eyes. And I saw him-or I thought I saw him..." Max started to freak out a little. Joan looked at Dean nervously.
"What?" Dean asked Max.
"He opened the emergency exit. But that's...that's impossible, right? I mean, I looked it up. There's something like two tons of pressure on that door." Max said
"Yeah." Dean looked off to the side, thinking.
"This man, uh, did he seem to appear and disappear rapidly? It would look something like a mirage?" Sam asked.
Joan had an idea of what he saw.
"What are you, nuts?" Max asked.
Sam tilts his head. "He was a passenger. He was sitting right in front of me" Max informed.