Prologue

Avery:

Most people have parents that care about what they do.

But I can do whatever the hell I want without anybody's consent.

As I sit here in the dark of a room,I quietly think to myself until I see light shine onto the cold wooden tiles.

"What is it this time?" I ask,agitated.

"Um,we have a problem with Mariana. She doesn't wanna go with the plan." Brooklyn says.

"Send her in here." Is all I say.

I wait a while before I hear footsteps coming up the stairs.

Then Brooklyn comes into the room with her hand around Mariana's forearm.

"Please let go of me. You're hurting me." She whimpers.

"Have fun," Brook says,towards Mariana.

Brooklyn lets her arm go in a harsh movement and leaves out,shutting the door,leaving only Mariana and me in the room.

She stands up,looking scared and uncomfortable. She looks at me for a few seconds,then back at the floor.

"You can sit,sweetheart. I won't bite." I exclaim.

She sits on the bed and pulls her feet up to her chin,resting her chin on her knees.

"I'm hoping you won't," Mariana says.

I stare at her for a while,trying to make her uncomfortable. This isn't a safe haven; I don't have to be nice.

Trust me,I know what I'm doing. I always do this to newcomers. It gives them a type of strength; they get used to me staring at them like that.

"Put your feet down." I demand.

I get up and walk towards her,slowly. Then,I sit next to her on the bed.

"So I heard about the thing that happened downstairs." I wait for her to respond.

"What thing?" She asks,even though I know she's not confused.

I sigh,"You really want me to break your damn legs,huh. Don't make me angry. That's pretty much the only thing you need to know about me."

"Okay," she says,barely audible,moving her feet to the floor.

"Why don't you wanna go with the plan?" I stare deeply into her eyes.

"B-Because I'm just a kid. I don't think I should kill someone--"

"The hell you are! If you think of yourself as a kid,you shouldn't have gotten into mess you wouldn't be able to clean up!" I interrupt.

She doesn't say anything. All she does is look at me.

"What's wrong with you,huh? Do you think I'm gonna kill you or something? Do you think I'm gonna harass you?" I ask,inching closer with every word.

"No. I don't."

I lean in on Mariana,"Listen to me. You're going to get that money. You act like you don't know how to rob a fucking bank."

She blankly stares at me,then swallows.

"Like come on. Haven't you seen that shit on tv or something? At least you could've said that you learned it from tv..." I say,now aggravated.

"Is that all?" Mariana questions.

"Not exactly. If you don't do as I say,I'll make sure you never walk again. Clear?"

"Crystal." she smiles nervously.

"Good." I get up and go to the door.

I turn the handle and open it. Then,I motion my head for Mariana to go.

She gets up and walks to the threshold.

"Mariana."

She turns around,"Yeah?"

"From now on you call me 'sir'. And don't get out of line or else you'll see what's gonna happen. You're an Outlaw...so act like it." I push her out and shut the door.