2

Mariana:

I walk upstairs to find an empty room. But I don't walk into an empty room. I walk into a room already set up and everything.

"They must've planned out everything," I whisper.

"You like it?"

I turn around,Avery with his hands in his pockets.

"God. You startled me." I say.

"That was my intention." He responds.

"Why did you do this for me? Why didn't you make me buy everything with my money?" I ask.

"You sure ask a lot of damn questions. How 'bout you let me do all the talking?" Avery says,almost sounding annoyed.

"What do you have against me?" I ask,concerned.

"To be honest,I don't know. I hate you,but I also like you."

"Well then. Maybe someone should give you a taste of your own meds." I say,scornfully.

"First of all,you're not talking to me. And I know you're not because no one talks to me like that. If you do that again,the imprint of my hand will be on your tan little face. Secondly, I tell you what to do. Not the other way around. Got it?" Avery scolds.

"Yeah." I say.

"What was that?"

"I mean--yes sir." I stammer.

"Okay then. We have a meeting downstairs. Don't be late." He demands.

"Yes, sir." I say.

Avery walks out of the room. I turn to the bed and sit down.

How can someone make me so scared? What did I ever do to him? Will the others like me? I know Brooklyn doesn't. Wow...I do ask a lot of questions.

I stare out of the window and a tear threatens to slide down. Then, my phone vibrates.

I look at the screen:

There's a party tonight at Stacy's. You up for it?

I text back:

Sure. Anything to get out of this living hell.

I go up to the room door and lock it. Then,I climb to the window, three feet from the ground. Once I get outside of it, I jump down and run away as fast I can.

Hopefully, he won't catch me, I think to myself.