13

Avery:

"That's what happens when you don't listen to the boss." I say.

"But did you really have to throw him out?" Ella asks,concerned.

"Hell yes. Jake was one of the known fuckboys in this house anyway." I exclaim.

"Wasn't this his last year here?" Mal questions.

"Mmhmm." I hum.

"And you kicked him out when it was his last year?" Jay quizzes me.

"Mmhmm." I hum once again.

"Have you no mercy?" Jay says,even though I know he doesn't care.

Then, Brooklyn comes into the room.

"Hey,B. What is it?" I say,recovering from my laughing state.

"Um....I was wondering if we could talk later?" she asks,looking worried.

"Or we could talk right now. Guys,I'll be back." I call the last part to Jay,Mal and Ella.

I pull Brooklyn by her wrist and into the secret room that Mal stays in.

"Why is your face holding a worried expression?" I ask,before she can say anything.

"I'm not going to beat around the bush with this so,yeah. My parents are still doing that whole 'reported missing ' thing and since I'm not of age to be a legal adult,they can take me back any time,any day now." Brooklyn explains,taking me to sit down by the window.

"Well,what are you gonna do? What if your parents really do find you? I mean,I'll make sure that it doesn't happen but....I would like to know." I tell her.

"If she doesn't find me in the next 24 hours,I'll just have to stay on lockdown until whenever. If she does find me..."

She looks at me and I can see her eyes glass over with tears.

She quickly pulls me into a hug.

"Avery,I don't wanna go. They don't care about me back home like you do. If my mom takes me,all hell will break loose."

I let go of her and wipe her face on both sides with my thumbs. Then,I kiss her on the forehead and slide my hands to her neck.

"They won't take you." I whisper.

"Promise?"

"I can't make a promise that's probably gonna be broken."

×××

4 Hours Later

"How old is she anyway?" Ella asks,after I tell everyone the situation.

"She's 15. Which means that if her parents actually do find her,they can take her back. But they could also press charges,since I'm 18. Same thing with Mariana's parents but I don't think they give a damn." I explain to them.

"Oh that's sad. She's probably spent her whole life here because of them." Mal says.

"She has. I took her in when she was 13. She was one of the first initiates. The only reason that I created Outlaws was because of her. At the time that I got her,she was just so vulnerable. I made this possible so that I could make children and teens feel not so...shackled."

After I say this,the doorbell rings and as I'm walking to the door cautiously, I hear someone say:

"Open up! This is the police and we have a warrant!"

I back away from the door and run all the way upstairs.

"Brooklyn! They're here!" I call out.

I walk to her room and turn the knob,cold on my fingers.

As I push the door open,I see Brooklyn standing by her window.

"I don't think you should stand in front of a full length window when police are looking for you." I say.

"I have to go with them. It's not like I have a say anyway."

"If you do go...could you still invite me for Thanksgiving?" I say,trying to lighten the mood.

She chuckles at what I said.

"Only if you promise to bring me presents on Christmas." Brooklyn moves from the window and hugs me tightly.

I hug her back and bite the inside of my cheek to stop me from crying.

"If you need me...you know where to find me." I say, just above a whisper.

I let go of her and sit on her bed.

"I don't wanna go. You're basically my guardian and leaving you here would be heartbreaking." she says,before sobbing.

"No no no no no. Don't cry. I raised you better than that. Remember what I told you?"

It's weird to raise a child only a few years under you.

She shakes her head.

"It wouldn't hurt to remember, though." she exclaims,wiping her face.

I take a deep breath,"Crying is for when your heart is breaking and a person like you doesn't deserve a broken heart."

After I say those words,the door sounds like it opens and I hear feet shuffle up the stairs.

"Check the perimeter and area of the house." I hear someone say.

"Well... Here goes nothing." I say.