9

Avery's POV

"Mariana." I call out,looking at my phone while walking through the hallway.

"Yes." She calls back.

"Where are you? It's been two hours now."

A text then interrupts me from what I was doing on my phone:

She's in here with me. Why don't you sit with us? We need to talk.

I hurriedly walk to the staircase and slide down the railing,which takes a little while.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I ask coolly.

"Well,for starters,that didn't feel very welcoming and second,I need to talk to you." Mal says,gingerly.

I take into account that she has an overnight bag beside her and I walk to the kitchen,before she can say anything else.

"What is it that you wanna talk about?" I question her.

She looks at me,then the floor and back. She then takes a breath.

"I just wanna say that I'm sorry for what happened two years ago. You didn't deserve something like that to happen to you,Avery. I feel a pang of guilt inside of me every single time that we cross paths. I can't take this anymore. I can't take the person that I've become. Ave,I love you. And I don't wanna lose you. Please forgive me."

By now,Mallory's shedding tears,but she keeps her breathing steady.

I take her hand and kiss her palm.

"I did that a long time ago," I whisper,pulling her into a hug.

After a minute or two, I let go of her and she attempts to wipe her face.

"I don't wanna go back. Would you mind if I crash here for a bit?" she asks.

"No...I wouldn't mind. Come on, I'll show you where you can stay." I say,walking back to the living room and getting her belongings.