14

A/N: Just in case you wanted to know what Brooklyn was wearing,it's on the top.

Brooklyn:

I walk in front of Avery and grab the door handle.

Why am I doing this? My life is gonna be over.

I inhale,then exhale. I grab the door handle and then let it go.

"I can't do it. I'm not leaving here. It can't be like this." I cry.

"Brooklyn,you listen to me. You go out there. If I go out there with you, I'll go to jail for keeping two underage teens in a house with me. It's a risk that I'm willing to take." Avery say.

"Fine." I say,once again taking a deep breath and grabbing my bag on the side of me.

I open the door and walk out,Avery walking in front of me.

"We found her," one of the people from the search team says.

"We got the boy,too."

"Avery,what are you doing?" I ask.

"Not leaving you behind." He exclaims.

One of the team members puts him in cuffs and leads both of us out of the house.

They lead us to the car and put both of us inside.

The air is stagnant, the windows fogged from the cold,my heart racing wild.

"I'm–I'm sorry." Avery blurts out.

"For what? Taking me in and caring for me when I needed it most?" I whisper.

"No. Not treating you or the others that well. Sometimes I notice that I can be such a ruthless dick and not care what anybody thinks. And it's all because of my alter ego." Avery explains.

Avery:

"Alter ego?" Brooklyn says.

"Yes. My real name isn't Avery. Carlos is my birth name. That's the name that my family used before I told them that I wanted to be called by my middle name, Avery, and ran away." I confess.

"So...you started a whole new identity for yourself?" Brook asks.

"Nope. I still use Carlos. Just not very often. Only one person knows my real name. Well–two if I include you." I feel my heart beat start to race.

I hear a tap on the window and roll it down.

"Avery Smith?" The officer says.

I turn to Brooklyn, then turn back to the officer.

"Yes?" I reply.

"They're not pressing charges."

"They, as in the Willis family?" I say,with a worried look.

The officer nods his head,confirming.

I open the car door and see Brooklyn's parents. I walk over to them,only hoping that Brooklyn's dad doesn't greet me with a fist to my face.

"Avery. What a surprise to see you." Brook's dad says,sarcastically.

"Nice to see you, too, Michael." I say.

I already have permission to call him by his first name.

"Don't push it,Smith. I'm already trying to stifle my anger." Michael says.

Well I almost have permission.

"Why do you even want her back anyway? You know that I gave her something that you never did." I exclaim.

"And what's that?" Kristen, Brooklyn's mom,asks.

"Love. That's all she ever needed. I raised her when I  was only a minor. That says a lot about me. So don't get mad at me because you couldn't give poor Brook the love that she needed." I continue.

"Avery. It's been two irritable years searching for our daughter. If we didn't love her,then we wouldn't have been searching." Kristen pipes up.

"Well then explain the damn marks that she had on her when I found her! She couldn't have put it there herself! All the abuse she probably went through!" I yell.

"We didn't come to argue. Just let us get Brooklyn and then we'll leave. You'll never have to see us again." Michael says.

"Fine," I walk to the car that Brook is in and sit next to her.

I put my hand on top of hers,putting my other hand in my pocket.

"Here." I offer her a wad of cash, held together by a rubber band.

"What's that?" She asks,hesitantly taking the money.

"A peace offering. Take it." I say,Brooklyn still unsure if she should take it.

She finally grabs it and hugs me, tighter than any hug before.

"It's $1,000. Use it wisely and don't let your parents know." I say,before letting her go.

I get out of the car and walk back inside of the house.

God,watch over her,I say to myself while shutting the door.