Arsenal debut

It had been just over a week since getting back from national camp. All of the fixtures for week one was postponed because the Queen had passed away.

We trained and got ready for our game against Brighton.

Me and Leah had spent every night with each other either at her place or mine and Beth’s apartment.

Everything was going so well. I actually feel like we have been together 3 years not 3 weeks. But then I guess that’s because we have known each other for so long.

We had just arrived at Meadow Park. Leah drove us. There were fans waiting so we stopped to sign a few autographs and take a few pictures. We then went inside to the changing rooms. I was in the middle of Beth and Leah. I guess Arsenal do things a bit different. I don’t mind it works out well for me.

I was given the number 4 shirt which I was surprised at because I know it’s Anna Patten’s number who is out on loan with Aston Villa. I spoke to her though and she is ok with it. I didn’t want to step on any toes.

I was told that I would be starting and making my debut tonight.

The starting line up is

GK- Manu Zinsberger

RB- Dani Scott

CB- Leah Williamson

CB- Rafelle

LB- Katie McCabe

CDM – Lia Walti

CM – Kim Little

CM – Viv Miedema

RW- Beth Mead

ST – Stina Blackstenius

LW- Caitlin Foord

We went out to warm up. My warm up partner is Beth. I was getting quite excited.

Beth said “Are you ready for this”

I said “I’ve been waiting my whole life for it. I’m more than ready”

“I’m excited for you. You deserve this” Beth said

“Thanks Beth” I said

We finished our warm ups and went back inside to change into our match kits.

Jonas talked us through the plan again and then Kim stepped up and said a few things. Then it was time to go out to the pitch. We walked out and lined up. I was in between Beth and Lia. I looked up and kissed my wrist. We all went to the centre circle. We held a minute’s silence in memory of the Queen. After we walked to our positions, I turned to Leah who was on my left. We were playing next to each other again. I am actually a pretty versatile player. I can play anywhere down the left or right side of the pitch.

 The whistle went and we are off. We start off on the front foot. Stina gets through but can’t get a shot away. Then Foord tries to get the ball into the box with a cheeky back heel but she can’t quite get it to an Arsenal player. We have a corner in the 5th minute. Katie McCabe swings the ball in but Rafa heads just wide. A couple of minutes later Stina is brought down just outside the box. The Swedish defender Emma Kullberg who brought her down was the last defender so the ref has to send her off. They will have to play the rest of the game with 10 players.  

From the resulting free kick Beth shoots but it’s put behind for a corner. But Brighton manages to get the ball away after the corner is taken.

We seem to be having shot after shot that either is blocked by a defender or well saved by Megan Walsh the Brighton keeper.

In the 26th minute Brighton have their first shot but it’s pulled just wide of the far post.

2 minutes later Foord runs down the left she cuts the ball back for Kim Little who shoots and the ball is in the back of the net. I run over to celebrate with Kim and the other girls. We are 1-0 up.

In the 33rd minute Viv plays a lovely ball through for Stina who shoots but it comes off the crossbar.

Viv is first to react but the keeper saves and gets the ball behind.

A minute later Viv collides with a Brighton player and they are both down. I watch on as Beth goes to check on her. Thankfully she gets back to her feet and looks ok.

We have most of the possession and have shot after shot.

In added time of the first half, we have a corner that is swung in. Rafa is first to it with her head. It’s off the line from Brighton. Not long after the whistle blows for the end of the first half.

We are happy with the game so far. We are in control but need to be more clinical in the second half.

We are back out and ready for the second half. We are all in our positions. The whistle goes and we are off again.

Stina is caught offside 2 minutes into the second half after a lovely through ball from Viv.

A minute later they have a shot but its a great save from Manu Zinsberger.

Then just a minute later Leah finds Beth down the right who passes it into Stina who takes a touch then lifting the ball into the far corner of the net. I run over to congratulate her. We are up 2-0.

In the next 5 or 6 minutes we have 2 shots which almost go in. 1 from Katie Mccabe and from Stina.

Then Foord is booked for a foul on Lee.

Then 4 minutes later Kim wins the ball back in midfield she picks out Viv inside the area she cuts the ball back for Beth who slots the ball past the keeper. As I would usually do when I play with her, I go and jump on her back. We are 3-0 up.

Jonas makes a double sub Stina and Foord off. Catley and Hurtig come on. Beth goes into the number 9 role.  A few minutes of being on and Catley crosses the ball in but McCabe just misses it. But the offside flag is raised anyway.

We have a few chances that all come to nothing. In the 77th minute another double change is made by Jonas. Lia and Viv off and Maanum and Jordan come on. I walk over to Jordan and give her a high five I’m happy that she’s getting some minutes.

A couple of minutes later and Brighton have their first corner of the game it’s an in swinger it skims the top of the goal.

Then in the 81st minute Beth sets Jordan up who shoots and it’s off the post. I thought it was going in.

Then another sub by Jonas, Leah goes off and Lotte comes on for her. I give Leah a high five as she goes off.

In the next play Maanum drives into the box and shoots but it’s saved by the keeper but she can’t keep a hold of it. Beth is first to react and she scores again. Again, I run over and jump on her. We are 4-0 up.

We have a couple of free kicks at the end of the half that come to nothing.

The full-time whistle goes. That’s it we win. We get 3 points and I got to play the full 90 minutes on my debut. What more could I ask for.