Time to face the music

I woke up considerably early the next day, not only was my head and ankle hurting but my heart hurt to. I could hear that Beth was already awake and up but I didn’t know if I could face her. I was going to have to do it at some point so it might as well be now.

I stood up and I definitely felt quite a bit of pain in my ankle I would have to call the club and get it checked out  but first I had to sort things out with Beth.

I limped into the kitchen where Beth was, she watched me limp over to the chair and sit down.

She said “what have you done”

“I got caught late in the game and my ankle still hurts” I said

“Didn’t you carry on playing though” she asked

I said “yeah, I thought it was ok but when I got back yesterday it was throbbing. I’ll call the club in a bit and get it checked out”

“how’s your head” She asked

“I’m not gonna lie it’s pretty bad” I answered

She got me some pain killers out and poured me a glass of water and said “will help your head and ankle”

I took them and said “thanks”

Beth said “why don’t we sit in the living room then you can put your foot up”

“Ok, sounds like a good idea”

We both went to the living room and sat on the sofa but I didn’t put my leg up because I would have to put it on Beth and right now, I’m not sure if she really wants to be anywhere near me.

Beth looked at me and said “’what are you waiting for”

I pretended like I forgot to put up my foot and said “oh yeah, sorry” I put my foot on her and she started massaging my ankle it was actually helping. I closed my eyes and I could feel the tears coming already. Beth had her head laid against the back of the sofa but she had her head turned towards me and was looking at me.

I opened my eyes and this time I was the one to start the conversation. I said “I’m sorry”

She said “what are you sorry for”

I huffed a bit and said “everything. For ghosting you, for getting drunk last night and acting like an idiot”

She asked “do you remember everything from last night”

I looked at her and said “yeah Beth I do”

Beth said “I’m sorry to”

I looked her on with a confused look and said “what do you have to be sorry for”

She said “I said some stuff I shouldn’t of and I took advantage”

“How” I asked

“I kissed you back and I knew what I was doing” she said

“I knew what I was doing as well” I said

Beth then said “you was upset, you was looking for comfort, I guess I was to but I should of stopped it”

My heart sank when she said that. I just looked at her. I was lost for words for a second.

Then she said “what”

“I wanted to kiss you. I wanted to be close to you, it wasn’t about comfort I wanted you. You make me feel safe when your around” I said

“What are you trying to say” she asked

I said “I don’t know Beth I’m being honest that’s how I felt last night. I don’t know what’s going on in my head right now. The last couple of months has been so much I just can’t think straight”

She laughed and said “you can’t think straight anyway”

I laughed as well “maybe not but I can usually make sense of my thoughts”

“I’m sorry I don’t know why I always have to be the jokester” she said

“Because that’s you isn’t it. I wouldn’t want you to be any other way” I said

She smiled and said “good”

“What now” I asked

She said “well first let’s get your ankle looked at and let’s heal from whatever is going on, then when either one of us makes sense of it we can talk about it”

I said “ok” I looked down then I said “do you want me to move out cos I don’t want things to be awkward with us”

She said “no, please stay. We are still friends right”

“Yeah of course we are” I said