Beth has some bad news

We got to camp on Sunday evening after the Leicester game. Both me and Beth are in the squad.

Still there is no place for Jordan. I’m sad for her she’s a good player but others are getting more game time so they are being noticed by Sarina.

We are flying out to Spain today where we are playing both of our friendlies against Japan and Norway. My roommate is Beth again. She has a lot on her mind at the moment with her mum’s appointment looming and also Viv being away. But she needed time out it was affecting her mental health.

We were on the plane I was sitting next to Beth we were chatting. Then she brought up the subject of Leah. She said “Have you spoken to Leah”

I said “No I haven’t. I actually don’t think we have gone this long without speaking since we met”

“You need to sort it out. You two are meant to be together” Beth said

I said “I think so to. I hope we do but she has to trust me. Maybe I’ll speak to her when we get back”

Beth said “She’s going to Dubai for further recovery. She’s running again”

I smiled I was happy for her “Good. She needs to get back to what she loves. I’ll talk to her when we are both back in St Albans. Whenever that may be” I said.

The next day we were at the stadium for the match against Japan.

Both myself and Beth were in the starting 11. But I was playing right back not my usual left back position for England. Also this was a special game for Beth earning her 50th cap tonight.

The game kicked off.

The first chance falls to us and Toone. It’s a long-range effort but it’s a comfortable save from the Japanese keeper.

Beth is up for the game. She is running up and down the right. In the 4th minute she passes into Russo but the ball is intercepted.

Japan is playing a high press but they have no recognised stiker in the team so it feels like we are playing against a 5-5 system. They are going to be hard to break down.

In the 9th minute we manage to break the press. Kelly is released down the left and crosses for Russo but the ball is turned marginally wide.

In the 19th minute they have there first shot through Hasegawa but it’s easy for Earps to save.

In the 21st minute I find space down the right. I run with the ball then switch the play. Kelly receives and delivers a teasing cross towards Russo but she can’t get on the end of it.

Stanway shoots in the 25th minute but her shot is charged down.

A minute later Kelly delivers again this time Russo connects with her head but it comes off the post.

In the 30th minute Toone plays Beth in she shoots but the keeper saves the ball.

In the 38th minute Kelly crosses the ball in, Japan scramble it away but only as far as Beth she feeds the ball to me. I slot the ball past the keeper. I make it 1-0. Beth runs to me and jumps on my back. I laugh at her and say “oi that’s my move”

She laughed back and said “It’s now our move” The other girls congratulated me. Then we ran back to our positions.

In the 43rd minute Iwabuchi takes a free-kick that is smashed into our wall.

That’s it. It’s half time.

We are ready to go again.