12. paradise city

Ziggy stuffed her back, filling it with any kind of necessity needed for a few days. She watches as Gamora gives instructions to Nebula and Rocket, as Nebula, Rocket, and Groot were staying behind with the Milano.

"What if the Sovereign comes?" Drax questions, glancing between Ziggy and Peter.

"There's no way for them to know we're here, we'll be fine," Peter says.

"I'm uncertain about parting ways." Drax worries.

"God, you're like an old woman."

"Because I'm wise?"

Ziggy nudged Peter, keeping him from answering. She gave him an encouraging smile as she walked ahead to Gamora and Drax, as Gamora questioned why Drax had so many bags with him. They boarded Ego's ship, and it took off, leaving behind Rocket, Groot, and Nebula.

"Who is that?" Ziggy asked, glancing at the bug girl. Ziggy had missed introductions the previous night, and she watched as the girl placed a hand against Ego's forehead, and the tips of her antennas lit up.

"That is Mantis. She's not the brightest." Drax informed her.

"I think she's Ego's assistant," Gamora adds.

Ziggy nodded, her eyes lingering on Mantis a bit longer before turning to her friends again. "So what do you guys think about everything?"

"I think it's kind of suspicious. I'm not sure yet, we still don't know a lot about him." Gamora tells her.

"I don't see an issue." Drax shrugs.

"I mean, he hasn't caused us harm yet. I told Peter I think this could be good for him... but to still not let his guard down. This guy could be pretending to be his dad." Ziggy voiced her thoughts.

Gamora nodded. "I can see that. I'm hoping everything goes well, though. We need a break from everything."

"What do you guys think she uses her antennas for?" Peter asks, the group going silent as he joins them. They glance back at Mantis.

Drax tilted his head. "I think she uses it to make sure she has enough space to walk underneath doorways."

Peter stared at him. "Really?"

"What else would she use them for?" Drax asked, 100% serious.

"Literally anything other than that?"

Gamora sighed, turning away from the boys and walking over to Ziggy. "How are your powers coming along?"

"I haven't tried them since the Sovereign's. It really wore me out." Ziggy admitted.

"Is it getting easier?" Gamora asked.

"A bit? I dunno. I'm just so exhausted every time, I don't know what's wrong."

"You'll get it sooner than later, don't worry." She reassures her, putting a hand on Ziggy's shoulder and smiling at her.

Ziggy smiled back, glancing at the ground. "Yeah, hopefully."

Glancing back at Peter and Drax, Ziggy noticed them interrogating Mantis. She figured she could rescue the poor girl, walking over to the trio.

"Their purpose?" Mantis questioned, and Ziggy sighed, knowing what they were asking her about.

"Quill and I have a bet," Drax told her.

"Dude, you're not supposed to say that!" Peter exclaimed.

"I say that if you're about to go through a doorway that is too low, your antennae will feel this, and keep you from being decapitated," Drax explains.