14

——————✧◦ ★ ◦✧——————

It's abnormally hot today.

I watch as a single fluffy white cloud moves across the sky. It's shape changes slightly as it flows through the air, but it's weird because it's still a cloud. It didn't matter if the elements shaped it to be large, small, skinny, or flat. It was still a cloud.

"Neville?"

My eyes widen and shoot towards Richie when his voice pulls me from my thoughts.

"I'm sorry, what were we talking about?" I question as we continue walking through Diagon alley. The chit chatter of other students and merchants fill my ears once again.

My head was literally in the clouds today.

Ritchie just smiles and chuckled, ruffling my hair playfully.
"It's okay, it wasn't anything important."

"I'm sure that's not true, you never say things unless you mean them." I replied, waiting intently on a reply.

Ritchie smiled fondly at this, as if he were thinking on it.
"Thanks Neville, but honestly I've been doing all the talking today. I think it's your turn."

The brunette pulls open the door to three broomsticks triggering the bell inside to jingle and alert the shop keeper. I walked in passed him, throwing my hands up in defense after he closes the door behind us.

"Oh no, I'm no good at talking. Anyway, who would want to hear about me?" I reply, Turing towards the pub to search for an open seat. My eyes unfortunately land on a familiar pair.

"We can leave." Ritchie offers with a comforting hand on my back.

I feel Theo's eyes on me and then Dove's attention turns towards me when she notices. They are sitting across from us in a booth, their butter beers were almost empty telling me they had been there for awhile.

"No- no it's okay." I reply softly.

Ritchie and I make our way to a booth on the other side of the room, though no matter how far away we tried to sit we weren't completely hidden away from Theo's cold gaze. I opt to take the seat that has my back towards him while Ritchie sits so that he is facing towards me.

It's likely Ritchie could see Theo and my thoughts were confirmed when I noticed Coote's eyes kept snapping between me and the space behind me.

"You're sitting so far away, can't you sit beside me?" Ritchie said with puppy dog eyes.

"Uhm..." I wondered out loud, feeling slightly awkward. I didn't want to seem like I was spying on Dove and Theo or something.

"Pleeaase?" He jokingly begged.

"Okay." I said, finally giving in and sliding so that I was sitting nearer to him.

He swiftly threw his arm around me and pulled me into his side. Now sitting pressed against him I could now see there was the unfortunate perfect view of Dove and Theo from this spot. Theo's eyes were already on us. Dove was saying something to him but he wasn't listening.

"So Neville, tell me more about you. What do you want to do after Hogwarts?" Coote asked cheerfully.

"Oh- Uhm. I'm not sure, I'm not really good at anything so I dunno what I want to do." I explained.

"Mmhmm." He hums in reply, his attention is still on Theodore's and now I'm starting to grow suspicious.

I didn't know what happened between the two but it was clear they weren't letting it go. The hate and anger festered within the room.

"Actually I think I want to go." I blurted out.

This made Richard's attention snap towards me once again. It was almost as if he wasn't listening until just this moment. It was odd, or more so out of character.

"Oh really? Alright let's go." He quickly replies.

The way he was willingly okay with leaving made me feel slightly comforted. We made our way out of the pub but we didn't make it too far before I heard someone calling out behind me.

Maybe if I just ignore him he'll go away.

"Neville I know you can hear me!" Theo called again.

I sighed before turning around to face him with my arms crossed.
"Yes?"

"Hey you can cut the attitude I'm still mad at you." Theo scoffed.

"I've had enough of this! Can you two just tell me what is going on?" I finally snapped.

Theo and Richard looked surprised by my outburst. Richard quickly recovered though, taking a large step towards Nott.
"Yeah, cough it up you dolt. Why is it you don't like me?" He questioned, a smile spread across the cheeks as if he were teasing the Slytherin boy.

Theo just shot daggers into him. If looks could kill this would certainly have multiple casualties. I'd never seen Theo so angry,
and yet so hurt.

Ritchie huffed, feeling as if he won. He turned back towards me. gripping my forearm he pulled me towards the castle.

"Neville, please don't go with him."

I dead stopped, causing Richard to trip to a halt.

Something about how Theo said those words didn't sit right with me. Theodore Nott was a straight to the point person, it's what I enjoyed most about being mates with him.

"Will you just shove off Theodore?" Ritchie said in an agitated voice.

Something clicked then.
It was almost as if his mask had fallen off. It was like I didn't know the Richard Coote in front of me. He looked towards Theo with pure disgust.