♡. . . orphic

orphic (adj.) - beyond ordinary understanding

˚₊· ͟͟͞͞➳❥  all alone by hogland

FREDDY BARELY REGISTERED
THE INSULT FOR A MOMENT

What.

Freddie blinked hard, turning to find the frame of a woman looking at them from only a few feet away. Shame slowly began flickering up his cheeks, and that deep sensation of embarrassment flooded his chest. He held the shirt to his chest, fear stretching his stomach out, as the woman's eyes narrowed at him.

"Pardon?" He heard Amir respond, almost sharply, and the sound made Freddie tense up all over again. For a moment, he'd forgotten he wasn't alone here. Amir had side-stepped him, standing almost entirely in front of him now.

"That shirt. It's for girls." She crossed her arms over her chest, sharp features wrinkling in distaste.

"Yeah, um, last I checked, clothes don't have a gender." Joon shot back, tiara still adorning his head proudly as he leaned against the outside wall of the shop. "Unless of course, I missed some kind of memo."

The woman scoffed again, clearly trying to look at Freddie, but Amir again shifted slightly on his feet, blocking her view, and some sickly sweet emotion rushed up his throat at the realization that his friends were protecting him, defending him. "Well, apparently nothing has a gender nowadays."

"Okay, that's enough." Bryce stepped forward, crossing her arms over her chest. "No one asked for yer opinion, so no one is goin' ta value it."

"I'm just saying." She shot back, "I'm allowed to speak freely."

Cassian raised his eyebrow then, "Oh? Yeah? Than so am I." He just evenly looked at her. "Bastard."

"Excuse me??"

"I think you heard him just fine." Asia half-snapped then, looking her over disapprovingly. "What, freedom of speech matters so much to you, why does it bother you how we're talking?"

"There are children here." She scoffed again, "Yet another reason why you shouldn't be pushing whatever agenda you're trying to get at here."

"Agenda??" Echo spoke in half disbelief, "what agenda? If our friend wants to buy something he likes, he should be able to, regardless of what he identifies as."

She wrinkled her nose again, snorting as if she couldn't possibly fathom what she was hearing. The sound made Freddie's lungs hurt, squeezing inside his chest. "Unless he's one of those people who don't want to accept their gender."

Bryce blinked rapidly, "Excuse me? Ya mean someone who's trans?"

"Whatever they call themselves, I want no part of it."