Chapter 40 - Dancing With The Devil

The night seemed to fly by quickly after mine and Daryl's first time together. After a few hours and a couple of condoms later, he was completely exhausted and had fallen asleep butt naked on the floor next to me.

For a good few minutes, I just laid there in his arms and stared at his peaceful expression as he slumbered, his rugged features softened by the gentle wash of moonlight that flooded in through the windows.

Both of us were completely satisfied that all of our frustrations had been eased, enough to send him off into a deep sleep almost immediately. It was a moment of pure contentment, where time seemed to stand still, and the world outside ceased to exist.

As I watched the rise and fall of his chest, a wave of tenderness washed over me, filling my heart with an overwhelming sense of affection. I couldn't help but run my fingers through his tousled hair, pushing it out of his face and savouring the intimacy of the moment.

The man was more than anything I ever could have asked for and caused a white hot feeling to course through my veins. I placed a light kiss against his chest and whispered "I love you, Daryl Dixon.", knowing full well that he wouldn't hear my confession.

It was a bittersweet moment, tinged with the realisation that my declaration of love might remain unheard, at least for now. I wasn't sure how he would actually react if he knew my true feelings, so this would have to do until I could pluck up the courage to say it to his face when he wasn't unconscious.

As the night wore on, I eventually freed myself from his embrace, careful not to disturb his peaceful sleep. His clothes were scattered haphazardly across the room but I walked through the carnage and grabbed my towel, draping it over him like a blanket to shield him from the slight chill in the air.

I gathered up his clothes and folded them next to him, keeping his shirt and wearing it myself. The fabric was long enough to fully cover my body, falling halfway between the top of my thighs and my kneecaps.

It carried his faint scent that I had come to love so much, this musky smell that was like my own personal magnet. I grabbed the collar and inhaled deeply like an absolute creeper, savouring the intoxicating aroma that was uniquely his.

I wrapped it around me and walked out onto the balcony, the cool night air sending a shiver down my spine. Everything was black as we approached the darkest part of the night, right before the sun began to rise.

Standing there in the stillness, I looked up at the sky that was adorned with countless twinkling stars, a sight that never failed to captivate me. I leaned against the cool, metal railing and just enjoyed the peacefulness of the night, forgetting about the day that lay ahead.

I stood there for a while, lapping up the bliss when a presence stepped up behind me and a pair of strong arms wrapped around my waist, pulling me close against a familiar chest. The scent of him intensified and I rested my head back against his shoulder, leaning into his warmth.

I could feel that he had silently got dressed behind me, the denim of his jeans rubbing against my legs. With a gentle sigh, he rested his chin on top of my head, his breath tickling my hair.

"Ya look good in my shirt." he murmured softly, his voice laced with a hint of amusement. A playful smile danced on my lips as I turned in his arms, facing him. "It smells good too." I replied, my voice carrying a mix of affection and teasing.

He chuckled, the sound rumbling through his chest and reverberating against me. "Ya can keep it if ya want." he offered, his eyes meeting mine with a tender gaze.

I reached up to brush a strand of hair away from his face, my fingertips grazing his stubbled cheek. "I'd love to, but unless you want to go back to the others half naked, I think I'll have to stick with the towel."