Chapter 45 - Surprise Soiree

After my little spat yesterday, everybody decided that it was probably a good idea just to have a couple days of rest from our allotted tasks and spend some time with one another instead.

We were pretty stacked up with food and we definitely didn't need any more clothes from Maggie, but none of us had the heart to tell her that because she always looked so happy with herself when she dragged in the massive bag of rags behind her.

I left the cellblock in the morning after having breakfast with Daryl, leaving him in Carols capable hands and hoping that she would somehow be able to convince him to let her wash his filthy clothes.

I stepped outside into the yard with my boys in tow to find my brother and his son working together, grabbing bits of wood from the cart to put up something that resembled Peppa Pigs house.

As I got closer to them, I could hear how frustrated my nephew was getting, pissed that the planks wouldn't stay in place or that the nails he was hammering a little too harshly were bending sideways. If he stopped going at it like a bull in a china shop and slowed down his movements, he probably wouldn't be leaving so many new windows in the wood.

I just stood and watched on as Carl tried to suppress his frustration, attempting to keep up with his father's skilled hands. I couldn't help but smile at the sight of them working side by side, happy that they were finally bonding again and spending one-on-one time together.

"Need some help?" I called out as I approached, giving Carl a playful wink. He glanced up, a mix of relief and embarrassment crossing his face. "Uh, yes please Auntie Emma." he admitted, handing me a few nails and a hammer.

The dogs ran off to play in the grass as I crouched down beside him, guiding him on how to place the nails more effectively and giving him some top tips on how to not whack his tiny little fingers with the hammer. Rick chuckled at our teamwork, and together, the three of us somehow managed to finish the pig pen before we died of old age.

We stood back to look at our handiwork and I could literally feel how unimpressed Rick was with his side, him being on the verge of sticking out his bottom lip and throwing a temper tantrum. I tried my hardest to make sure that Carls side was practically perfect, and it definitely paid off because my brothers face was priceless.

My nephew also must've noticed how his dad's shoulders had slumped slightly because he started to giggle, holding up his hand for me to high-five. I gladly returned Carl's gesture, sharing in his delight over our accomplishment. Rick's initial disappointment was quickly replaced by a small smile, appreciating his son's enthusiasm and my efforts to help.

"Good job, buddy," I praised Carl, flicking up his sheriff's hat affectionately. "You're becoming quite the handyman." Rick's smile widened, and he placed a hand on Carl's shoulder, pride evident in his eyes. "You did great, Carl." he said, giving his son an approving nod.

I wandered over to the wagon, noticing Daryl leaning against the fence to the courtyard with a smile on his face, watching on as I lifted out the large container that still housed the orphaned little piglets.

I took them back towards their new pen as he walked down towards us, obviously wanting to catch a glimpse of the new additions to our group. I placed the box on the floor inside the pen and turned to Carl, saying "Do you want to do the honours?"

He had grown up so quickly recently, but I still saw his face light up at the thought of letting the piglets loose in their new home. He nodded eagerly, his eyes shining with excitement. "Yeah, I want to!" he said, his voice filled with enthusiasm. He crouched down in the middle of the pen, carefully opening the container to let the piglets out.