Chapter 20 - Reunited in Winnipeg

Mike, Jane, Will and the twins went to Winnipeg, Manitoba in July (2005).  They went because the last work of The Secret Party saga was published and their publisher noticed that 20% of all the sales of the title were sold in Winnipeg which was crazy considering it was sold worldwide and was fairly popular.  28% of all the correspondence the publishing company recieved for the title also came from the Winnipeg area so there were alot of fans there, the highest per capita in the world.  Mike and Will were sent to foster good will and meet fans.  They were set up to do a morning radio interview on 730 AM CKRD.  The two men went to the interview while Jane and the twins planned on going to Fun Mountain Water Park after the twins woke up.  They planned on reuniting in the evening after Mike and Will signed copies of the graphic novel at Wally's Books and Collectibles.  After this they planned on relaxing and seeing the sights of the city.

Unknown to Will the band Ravensnote was on their Canadian tour.  This tour was the last tour of the band forever.  Since Napster and file sharing ruined the economics of the music industry, alot of bands lost their contracts unless they were popular or in vogue.  Since Ravensnote was on a downward trajectory they lost their contract.  The show in Vancover was going to be the last time the band will perform together.  Ziggy was glad to finally be done with it all even though he liked to perform.  He was done with his bandmates angering him and the label making them record music others wrote.  He felt like a puppet these days and wanted a break from being on the road or in the studio for the last 15 years.  His band had a show last night and was getting ready to leave Winnipeg to go to Vancouver. 

Ziggy was in a car the manager hired to drive him to the airport so he could fly to Vancouver.  Ziggy's phone rang and Ziggy answered it. 

"Hello, who is this?"  Ziggy asked.

"Don't you recognize my voice Ziggy?  It's me Deuce."  Ziggy was confused.  He hasn't talked to Deuce in months.

"Hi Deuce, why are you calling me?"

"You said you wanted to see Will again 2 years ago when you were at that bar.  Guess what, he is in Winnipeg right now.  If you turn your radio to 730 AM right now you can listen to his interview.  If you go to the radio station you can see him.  Now is the time to talk to him if you are serious.  He will listen.  Bye Ziggy."  Ziggy was always freaked out by him.  He always seemed to know something before anyone else.  How did he know where he was or where Will was?  Ziggy will take his advice this time, what was there to lose.

"Turn the radio to 730 AM please?"  The driver did what he asked.

"...get your new F-150 today at Keystone Ford.  This is all Canadian 730 CKRD and today we have Michael Wheeler and William Byers with us discussing their graphic novel saga The Secret Party that is a big hit in Winnipeg.  Gentlemen, did you think your graphic novels would turn out to be as popular as they are?....."  Ziggy heard both Mike and Will talking about their books.  Ziggy never thought he would hear Will's voice again.  It stirred some feelings in Ziggy and they were bittersweet.

"Can you take me to this radio station?  The man on the radio is someone I haven't seen in many years."

"I can but you will miss your plane."  The driver spoke.

"Fine, just get me to the studio."  Ziggy demanded.

After a short time the car was pulling up to the CKRD studios.  Ziggy tipped the driver and he left.  Ziggy walked into the radio station and walked past the front desk and to the studio.  He knocked on the studio's window and he saw Will, his Will.  Ziggy's heart was pounding so hard seeing him he had a hard time breathing.  Will saw him and his eyes blew out wide and his mouth dropped open.  Mike and the interviewer also saw Ziggy and motioned him to come into the studio when the commercial break was on.