Chapter 21 - Life in Thoughts

April 2007

"...the Hussars are attacking the village.  Roll for action Zach the Invincible."

"I pick attack the Hussars and save the villagers." 

"No, if you lose we all die!  We must evacuate.  We don't have enough hit points to cover."  Kyle the Lionhearted said.

"Sometimes you have to fight or else they will attack again."  Zach said.

Zach rolls a 6.

"The Brave 6 are dead and my record in this campaign is spotless."  Mike the Paladin crowed.  "They will have to respawn to finish this campaign.  HaHa."

"Yeah, whatever.  I am going out for a while."  Zach left the condo.

It was a Sunday and the Wheeler Party played a new campaign at Mike and Jane's condo.  The Wheeler Party consisted of Mike, Jane, Zach, Nathan, Kyle, Will and Ziggy.  Kyle was Nathan's best friend since 6 and Ziggy is dating Will once again since the concert in Vancouver a while ago. 

"Do you think he threw the game so he could leave?"  Nathan said outloud.

"He wouldn't do that?"  Mike defended.

"Yes he most definitely would."  Ziggy answered back.

"No he wouldn't.  Anyway what should we do now?"  Mike was curious what the others wanted to do.

Will noticed Kyle was acting quiet and kind of annoyed all afternoon.  Other than challenging Zach he was withdrawn.  Will knows something is bothering him.  14 is a hard age for kids because everything is changing so fast for them.

"Kyle, what is wrong?  You seem to be thinking about something big.  You can tell us or just me if you want, we can help."

"Will, I am worried about the future."  Will was slightly confused.

"What do you mean?  That is a large area you covered."  Kyle looked over to Nathan then back to Will.

"Okay I will tell you all.  I can't hold it in anymore." Nathan grabbed Kyle's hand.

"What is bothering you Kyle.  I will help you.  I need to know."  Nathan uses a soft voice with Kyle like Mike used for Will when they were younger.

"You will hate me if I tell you."  Kyle was crying now.

"I could never hate you.  Please let me in."  Nathan was pulling Kyle into a hug.

"Aah,o..OK.  I am scared of you leaving me behind Nathan.  You are hanging out with Jessica and Mason more and I feel like I am losing you.  I can't live in a world without you in it.  What did I do wrong since you are ignoring me.  Am I too clingy or not fun enough anymore?"  Will knew exactly what Kyle is going through.  They are at the age most kids make new friends and ditch the old ones.

"What, I uh, uh.  What makes you think that.  I would never."  Nathan was at a loss for words.

"Don't lie to me Nate."  Kyle pulled away and almost screamed that out.  "You told me you were busy yesterday and here you are at the store with Mason and Jessica, I saw you.  If you don't want to be friends at least tell me.  It hurt to see you laughing and having fun with them and you haven't had fun with me in a while.  It seems like you always make excuses for ditching me so you can hang out with them."  Kyle was going to collect his bag.  Realization came across Nathan's face.

"Do you want me to walk you home?"  Will offered to Kyle cause he could help Kyle since he been in the same situation.

"You aren't going anywhere Kyle.  You don't understand the full story."  Nate went over to Kyle.