Chapter 8 - Ridgeline

Today is the day, the first day of College for Ziggy and Will. Will pulled into the Katzes driveway at 6:30 AM to pick up Ziggy, but Will had to wait 15 minutes for him. For some reason they are starting college on a Thursday.

"Ziggy, why are you so late? Don't you realize we have to buy books. The next time I might just leave you"

Ziggy was rubbing his eyes "this is way to early. Why didn't we take later classes. I was not late, I lost track of time looking for my clothes."

Will had a look of annoyance he flashed at Ziggy "You mean you slept in and were scrambling around looking for clothes off the floor."

"Hey at least we are going to college. Most colleges don't even take attendance" Ziggy's big I have an idea open mouth smile was directed at Will.

"Don't you think you want to make a good impression at least on your first day."

"Eh, no. What is this music you are playing. You like the oldies?"

"This song is by Sprial Staircase, pretty good eh. My Aunt Laura made me a mix tape. It beats listening to The Essential Singer/Songwriter Collection or any tape you would say is high art in music." Will liked some singer/Songwriter songs.

"You are going to be taught my songs Will. That way you will appreciate good music." Will's chest started to heat up with a tingling heat think about Ziggy teaching Will his songs up close and personal. Maybe he will sit behind him and show him what cords to play Will thought.

The day at the college went well. They had 4 classes and both Ziggy and Will took the same ones so it would be easier to study and keep the same schedule.

Both Ziggy and Will noticed students at the college were nice and approachable with no social stratification high schools have. This alone was worth going to Ridgeline. It almost felt like the freaks were the cool ones in this setting.

Ziggy and Will had almost 2 weeks of make-up work but Will wasn't worried about it. Ziggy was surprisingly intelligent so he absorbed the material like a sponge.

Will came home at 4 and Max and Jane were waiting for him. "Did you have fun avoiding the Party today Will?" Will felt a pain in his chest and his eyes ran wide when Max brought this up. Will took the high road and told them about how college was and how the students were nice. "What kind of bullshit is that. We have to put up with the jockocracy for 2 more years while you get to chill out. That is not fair." Max lightly hit Will's chest. "I'm telling you will like college." Will smirked at Max and Jane.

○○○○○○○○○○○○○○

At the football table at lunch, Lucas is arguing with Mike and Bart about the game with Christian Academy tonight while Jane slides in next to Mike. "Jane, how is Will liking college?" Bart was sick of arguing football and changed the subject.

"Good. He said it is nothing like high school where there is bullying and strict attendance policies. He said people are much more mature there."

"What, is he saying that he is better than us" the comment left Mike's lips and he inwardly flinched at them.

"No Mike, he is just saying it is a pleasant environment" Lucas looked at Mike with a questioning face. Mike was jealous that Will didn't have to go through the popularity gauntlet. Mike would of loved not having to join the football team but had to to make friends and not be picked on. "Lucas is right Mike. College sounds good to me" Bart put it out there.

"Where is the party tonight?" Mike asked the group. "It is at my house" Lucas told the group. "Jane, you can invite Will if you want, it would be good to talk to him again."