Chapter 1 - The Move

Ziggy hated the move to Hawkins.  He was sent 80 miles away from the only home he has known to a small town in the woods and farm fields.  He knew he wouldn't build much of a fan base in this new town, heck they probably were country music fans which caused a shiver to go down his spine.  These people couldn't appreciate his type of music artistry he thought.  This would be the year to keep his head down and focus on new songs and finding a college or large city to move to after school was done.  It might also be the year to get his driver's license that Ziggy kept putting off for no real reason.

    His mom was listening to her usual classical music as they headed east in her Renault LeCar.  The ride was quiet as Evelyn and Ziggy didn't see eye to eye on anything since she was a political type person while Ziggy liked non-political themes in his music and wanted to make a living out of it.  Their car entered Hawkins after almost 2 hours and they ended up at their new house in a decent neighborhood.  Most of the houses in the neighborhood looked rebuilt and his new house had new paint and a couple of windows looked replaced. 

    The house was older but was updated with new flooring, appliances, and an addition.  The addition had a bathroom, laundry room and a large master bedroom.  The house had an upstairs that was redone.  The upstairs was made into  one large room with a bathroom.  This space was perfect for him and his needs to make and record music.   Ziggy was happy with his new house even though he didn't want to be in Hawkins.

    The truck with their furniture and belongings will come tomorrow so they will eat out and sleep on air mattress on the floor until tomorrow. 

    Evelyn moved to Hawkins to supervise the social aid programs to the displaced individuals that were affected by the gates opening in Hawkins in 1986.  Evelyn wanted a new challenge and it helped that this new position paid 2x her old position  at the women's shelter but Evelyn would never admit to that fact.  The move would allow the Katzes to retire earlier and move to a new part of the U.S. when Ziggy goes to college.

    "Ziggy I am starving what should we order?"

    "I was thinking a pizza mom."

    "Ok order one, just find one we can both eat."

    "Ok mom"  Ziggy took the new phone book sitting by the new phone the telephone company installed before they arrived.   After checking the yellow pages for a pizzeria Ziggy ordered a large supreme pizza and 2 large cokes since they forgot to bring cups to drink with.

   School will start a week from today (Tuesday) so there will be time to get settled into the new house and check out Hawkins.

○○○○○○○○○○○○

    It was the Wednesday before school started in Hawkins and a familiar green Ford Pinto pulled into the Hopper family home's driveway.  Will been in this house before but he couldn't remember much.  He knew from Jane at was at least as big as the Lenora home, this meant Will would get his own room.  Will's mom bought the house last year when she moved back to Hawkins after she started her own business in Lenora.  She moved her business to Hawkins and bought a house with Hop in 1987 after the school year when the Lenora house was sold.

  Will dragged his feet as long as possible to come back to Hawkins but was forced to go by Hopper and his mom.  Will didn't feel comfortable coming back due to his past with both the town and upside down, and his friends (the party) abandoning him after the final fight with Vecna during spring break.

    Will brought his belongings from Portland with him which included his clothes, 4 musical instruments (electric guitar and amp, acoustic guitar, violin, and a Casio DG-20 which Aunt Laura bought Will when she found out he liked playing  musical instruments) and a computer (a heavily modified Apple II with a monitor and dial up modem.)  The computer was modified by Will's friend Zebra and Will was taught how to use it by him.  [Zebra was a computer enthusiast]     To carry all these items, Aunt Laura had a rack and carrier installed on the roof of the Pinto. 

    "Oh Will you finally made it home" Jane excitedly embraced Will as he walked up to the house.

    "I made it.  Could you show me my room so I can check it out before I bring my belongings in?"

    "Sure.  I know you are nervous to be here but the Party doesn't hate you.  They just need time to get to know you again."

    Will couldn't believe that his sister picked up on his apprehension and cut down to the heart of the matter before he even thought it.  "Are you sure, the last time we talked they called me a piece of crap for running off and not caring about what happened to Dustin.  They made it clear to me they didn't want to talk to me again."

  "Will, none of that was your fault.  I told them the truth about not telling you about Dustin until after he moved away.  They didn't realize the reasons you moved away and that I didn't tell you about Dustin.  I know if you tell why you stayed away they will understand.  I can help you if you want."

    "It wasn't only up to you and mom to keep me informed. The group had my phone number and address in Portland but I never heard from any of them.  I wrote a couple times and called, but no responses usually means nobody cares anymore."

    "You don't understand that everyone was scared and stressed out by what you did!  I was scared to lose you Will." 

  "But you didn't lose me.  I did what needed to be done."

    "Just give them some time to process."

    "Ok Jane."

    The rest of the afternoon was spent with Will unloading his car and setting up his room.