017

"y/n, wait."

i turned around sternly confusion lacing my reaction to miles calling my name. "what do you want miles." i said, staring at the nervous boy. i hoped he would come clean with something. a reason for me to not be mad at him.

"i'm uh- i'm really sorry about, you know. yesterday?" he said squinting his eyes as he leaned back a bit. i hoped the words that followed his sentence would be something along the line like.

"gwen made me do it!"
"i love you, but she made me say all that!"
"i only did that because she made me!"

yet those words didn't fall. "is that all?" i said. my heart was broken into pieces. i couldn't believe he had the nerve to talk to me if it wasn't to show he never wanted to hurt me in the first place. and if he was forced, i couldn't believe he wouldn't tell me why.

he nodded is failure as he realized i wasn't going to forgive him. not yet at least.

Miles' Pov

later that night.

"gwen, can't you just lay back on me?! what the fuck have i done to you?!" i yelled at gwen, who was seemingly composed as she was in the middle of destroying someone's life.

"did you know my dad has two jobs?" she said sounding sarcastically shocked, yet her smirk dropped and her facial expressions were turning more serious.

"no?? what hell does that have to do with me anyways?" i said, still confused as to what her dad had to do with me, her, and my friends.

"him and his acquaintances ran this business, Scarlance. maybe you heard of it?" she said furrowing her brows as she rose form her chair to walk around my room. my eyes widened at the business name.

flashback

"miles this job is dangerous, and i need you to be one hundred percent on it." my uncle said seriously. he had just explained to me about the job he'd been working as, he was the prowler.

i was scared at first notice hearing that. the prowler was posted to be a bad guy. a villain. but he quickly explained how he only attacks corrupt companies and the people running them. but in a more violent way. like an anti hero.

he told me all about what he had seen, his reasons for attack, and more. going into extreme detail as to show how the job was bad, but wasn't harmful to innocents. he even hit it close to home too.

"these people, Scarlance. they were stealing supplies from your mothers job. she wasn't able to help the people in need. she could've been let go."

those words triggered something in me. hearing this go through my ears making me want to send a yes out of my voice. i could never- would never, want to see me mom in a position like that. she came all this way for this job. she came all this way to help these people. i wasn't going to let some jackasses take that away from her.

i was thinking about how many people i needed to protect. my mom, my uncle, my friends, and y/n.

"i'll stop Scarlance. i'll kill them all." i was so angry at what they'd been doing without anyone knowing. but i wasn't going to let them do that to my mother. i would never. he patted my shoulder after what i had said telling me that it was alright.

"so, as of right now nobody knows who the prowler is. you cannot let yourself be known. you need to promise me miles." my uncle said with almost pleading eyes. he really wanted to pass this on. but he needed to know it was going into the right hands.

"i promise."

end of flashback

that was the only time i've broken a promise. but it wasn't on purpose. gwen had been watching the prowler for a while. it wasn't until she watched me walk into my apartment complex in the suit, that she had put the pieces together. my braids, my shoes, my apartment. she figured it out. but it wasn't my fault.

"i can see you remember, that's great!" she said her voice piercing through my ears. i hated it. "you ruined my dads business." she said angrily.

"after you took down the company, my dad came in the next day. he was the only one who didn't know what had happened. they all blamed him. attacked him. tried to kill him. luckily he got away. but he lost all his peers and their trust" she said, continuously staring into my eyes with her empty, broken irises.

"now i'm going to make sure you lose all of yours." she said, before smiling at me again and walking out of my room to the living room. i was about to say something before she cut me off,

"goodnight miles!"

confused, i turned to where she had been looking and got knocked out by an unknown person. i could only catch a glimpse of a kind of muscular male, although seemingly being around my age, before i blacked out.

this was really bad.

˚₊𓆩༺🕷༻𓆪₊˚
________________
Word Count: 942

hahah cliffhanger.. sorry for not updating last night i got super tired and fell asleep, i didnt wake up until pretty late today. i was also reading other ff's mostly just to read em, but to also get some tips on things to make better chapters for y'all so yeah. HOPE UR ENJOYING SO FAR SND TYSM FOR 5K READS GUYS ILYSM!! ❤️❤️