The Not-So-Great Escape

It was a week into the new semester and Cam had just entered the house, ready for school, with Allie beside him, his arm over her shoulders like normal, Oliver wasn’t there as he was head of the Student council, meaning he had to go in half an hour earlier every day.

They walked past Tommy and Stephanie, Steph looking up at the ceiling.

“Tommy did it again.” Steph told them.

“What?” Allie asked from her seat at the table.

“He makes me look up at the ceiling, but there’s nothing there. And then he gives me that look” Steph explained getting weirded out glances from everyone else.

“What look?” DJ asked from where she stood in the kitchen making lunches.

“That look.” Steph said pointing at Tommy’s completely normal face. “Oh, sure, now he’s acting all innocent.”

“Aunt Steph, you’re crazy.” Cam told his aunt amused.

“It’s exactly what he wants you to think.” Stephanie claimed.

“Morning, best friend.” Kimmy greeted walking down the stairs.

“Hi.” DJ greeted.

“Morning, kids.” She then greeted.

“Hi, Kimmy.” Allie and Cam chorused.

“Good morning, sister-wife.” Kimmy greeted Stephanie, cheerfully.

“I want a sister-wife divorce.” Stephanie told her from the kitchen counter, she had moved there to get her coffee.

“Don’t fight it, honey. It’s your destiny to spend your life with me.” Kimmy told Steph, kissing her cheek.

“Yeah, don’t fight it Stephanie, it’s destiny!” Allie told her boyfriend’s aunt laughing quietly, Cam kissing her forehead, laughing himself.

“Awe, you guys are adorable!” Steph cooed at them, ignoring the destiny comment.

Stephanie, Allie, and Cam all continue talking as Kimmy and DJ talk about school lunches.

“He’s trying to make me look again.” Stephanie said, referring to Tommy, “I am not looking up.” Stephanie claimed, only to look up not a second after she finished, “And now I’m looking up. And, big surprise, there’s nothing up there. You sneaky little… aw… look at those chubby cheeks!” Stephanie said, Allie and Cam looking at her weirdly. “What is it?” Stephanie asked, looking up again.

Jackson came down the stairs signing and carrying his science project, “I’m exhausted. I was up all night erupting my volcano.” He told everyone.

Stephanie gave Jackson a look, “Whoa, dude, TMI.”

“Mom, please don’t make me go to this new school.” Ramona came in begging Kimmy.
“I’m so lonely there. It’s worse than the time you left me at the ball pit in McDonald’s.”

“I didn’t leave you. I forgot you.” Kimmy told her daughter.

“I’m not sure that’s much better.” Cam piped up from where he was sat.

“Do I have to go to this new school? I’ve been there five whole days and I haven’t made a single friend. Something’s wrong with that place. According to every online personality quiz I’ve ever taken, I score between ‘likeable’ and ‘very likeable’.” Ramona told everyone.

“I always get ‘loveable’.” Cam chimed in making Ramona glare at him.

“Well, you have at least one friend there, Jackson. You guys are friends, right?” DJ questioned. Only for Ramona and Jackson to disagree.