The Legend of El Explosivo

Cam was in the kitchen, preparing snacks for himself to take over to Allie and Ollie’s house tomorrow. Mrs. Blake had insisted Cam go over to their house for dinner, saying she hasn’t seen him in so long, which was the truth, Allison and Oliver usually hung out at the Fuller house. Cam was in charge of bringing snacks for the movie after dinner.

“Kimmy, what is all this stuff?” DJ asked, Kimmy and DJ at the counters unpacking the grocery’s Kimmy went out to buy.

“The greatest shopping experience of my life.” Kimmy declared. “It’s called the 89 Cents store and guess what?”

“Everything’s 89 cents?” Cam answered. Kimmy nodding along excitedly.

“It’s awesome. I’m never going back to that snooty 99 Cents store” Kimmy claimed.

The doorbell rang and Ramona ran downstairs. “I got it! That’s the dance team. And Cam, stay out of the living room!”

“What? Why am I not allowed in the living room?” Cam questioned, very confused.

“Because they all have a crush on you.” Ramona told him like it was something he should already know.

“Wait, what!?” Cam asked again, completely bewildered.

“According to Sara you have the dreamiest eyes. And Lola thinks you’re an angel sent from heaven.” Ramona told him in disgust. Cam looked creeped out, making DJ and Kimmy laugh.

“Okay, yeah, I’ll try to stay away.” Cam agreed.

“I bought some cookies for you guys.” Kimmy told her daughter when Ramona walked past her, holding up some discount Oreos called ‘No-reos’.

“Mom, you couldn’t get the real thing?” Ramona questioned.

“Once they’re on the platter, you friends will never know the difference. You just can’t eat them near an open flame.” Kimmy said, walking with Ramona into the living room.

Max and Jackson walked through the back door. Jackson wearing a thick jacket, even in the hot weather.

“Hey, guys!” DJ greeted.

“Hi, Mom. Going to study. Bye, mom.” Jackson told her quickly, trying to walk past, only for Cam to block his way with a raised eyebrow.

“Hold on.” DJ called out, “It’s 90 degrees out and you have a jacket on. And that’s not even your jacket. What’s going on?”

“You’re always so suspicious!” Jackson complained walking over to DJ. “Can’t I just be wearing my friend’s jacket because it’s National Jacket Swapping Day?” Jackson said, unconvincingly.

“What are you up to?” DJ said, taking the jacket off her son before gasping, “Jackson, you’re all banged up. What happened?”

“Oh, nothing.” Jackson tried to deny.

“Max, what happened?” DJ turned to her second youngest, knowing he would tell her.

“He skateboarded off Bobby Popko’s tool shed and wiped out.” Max told her immediately. Cam instantly scowling at Bobby’s name, the Blakes lived next to them.

“Max!” Jackson yelled.

“Sorry. Here’s your “don’t tell mom” Jolly Ranchers back.” Max said, pulling it out his pocket into the table.

“Okay, have a seat.” DJ told them. “Every time you’re at that Bobby Popko’s house, something bad happens.” DJ said as she went to get a first aid kit and clean Jacksons arm. “Aren’t his parents around?” DJ asked.

“Oh, yes, yes, yes, of course. They’re very responsible people.” Jackson lied.

“No, they’re not.” Cam cut in, earning a glare from Jackson.