~Chapter 13 (Birthday)~

After everyone was settled, we sat down at the dinner table, Kai sat next to me with his parents across from us.

“So, you’re the infamous Irene, that has my son smiling so much.” said Kai’s mother, I met her when they first arrived, and they were all so kind and sweet. Her name is Serena. She has long red hair and beautiful brown eyes.

I smiled at her, not sure what to say. “So, sweetheart where are your parents from.” I looked over to Kai’s Grandmother she might be old, but she certainly doesn’t look old.

“Well, my father was American, and my mother was Russian.” I know the Russians and Italians don’t get along when it comes to the Mafia, but hopefully they’ll let it slide.

“Was.” “What do you mean” I looked at my lap playing with my fingers. Kai noticed my hesitation and answered for me. “Her parents passed away when she was younger” he said completely leaving out the part where he killed my father, not that I care.

They all looked at me pitiful, “so after dinner why don’t we go to the backyard and open presents there.” I mentally thanked Elliot for changing the subject. He can actually be helpful sometimes.

After dinner Kai cut the cake, we all sang happy birthday and headed to the backyard.

There was a fireplace with sofas around it. It was 6pm so the sky was getting darker creating a perfect atmosphere. Everyone was huddled up in blankets talking and catching up.

“Do you know how hard it was to keep Kai occupied the whole day.” complained Elliot “I had to tell him Irene wanted candy just so he would go with me.” Elisa chuckled before replying “you know that's the first intelligent thing you’ve ever done.” Elliot grumbled under his breath glaring at Elisa.

“Well, enough wasting time lets open presents”

Kai was sitting on the sofa with a pile of presents next to him, he opened the first one, it was from Elisa. It had a sweater with a huge grumpy cat on it.

He continued opening the presents. Elliot gave him socks. His parents bought him a new car. Even though he already has too many. Vincent got him a new gun.

It was time for my presents, so I rushed inside and got his gift from my room.

Kai

I finished opening everyone's gift, only Irene’s was left. She rushed inside to get her present.

After a while she came back into the backyard holding something fluffy. When she came closer, I realized she was holding a puppy. It had curly brown fur and a cute tiny nose.

(picture of puppy)

(picture of puppy)

I’ve wanted to get a dog when I was younger, I just never had the time to take care of it.

She handed me the dog and it had a collar that said (Chocolate) that must be its name.

The little puppy cuddled up into my arms and closed its eyes. “she’s 9 weeks old,” said Irene. I normally don’t bother for cute things, but she can be an exception.