Nineteen

-Lindsey-

"How does this one look?" She comes out of her bedroom closet, holding out her arms to show me a tight black dress.

It clings to everything, and I mean everything.

"Hmm, no." I shake my head, sitting down on the edge of her bed as I watch her roll her eyes.

"Why doesn't it look good?" Her hands fall on her hips, eyes looking down at the dress that she's never worn a day in her life.

It's not that doesn't look incredible, because she'll look amazing in every dress she'll pick out- it's just that I don't want her to go out with someone else... I want her to go out with me.

I want to take her to dinner and out to a movie or whatever it is that she wants to do to get her mind off of the craziness that our lives have consisted of.

"It just doesn't look right, Steph." I don't want to be mean and tell her that the dress looks like she's begging for this guy to just skip dinner and jump right into dessert, but it does.

And no matter what, I still want her be respected by any man that wants to take her out. She deserves it.

"Ugh," she turns around to walk into her closet, and the back is just as tight as the front...

I stand up a second after she's disappeared, because I know it's going to take her awhile to pick out another outfit. I creep down the hallway, and into the extra guest room, where Lynley is still taking a much needed nap.

She's been crying on and off all day, but she's only content in her grandmas arms, which is going to be hard as hell for me, since granny's going out tonight.

"Doing alright, buddy?" I look over the staircase railing, just to catch a glimpse of Matthew, sitting on the couch, watching a movie.

"Yea," he nods, not even looking up at me.

"Good!" I give him a quick thumbs up, and an awkward smile. "Pizza tonight, right?" I ask as I start walking back up the stairs to check on Stevie and her apparel.

"Sure," he never sounds overly enthused anymore, and maybe it's because he has questions about what the hell is happening in his life.

It's been an odd couple of months, and it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't understand. He lost his sister, I left his mom and I'm starting to spend an awful lot of time with a woman he calls 'aunt Stevie'.... I can imagine some confusion.

"How about this one?" She's standing in her vanity mirror, fixing her perfect curls, while a red dress now wraps around her beautifully shaped body.

I sink into the doorframe, heart nearly skipping a beat. "You are the most beautiful woman." I can't tell her that I don't like this one either, because I do and I think any man will find her gorgeous in that dress... or any dress for that matter.

"Thank you, Lindsey." She chuckles, running her fingers through her curls again to try and fluff them out.

"What's his name?" I stuff my hands into my pocket, trying to keep my eyes from roaming her body.

"David," she replies, reapplying another layer of lipstick.

"Is David picking you up?" I lean back against the door, still watching her through the mirror.