Chapter Eight

"Don't let me in with with no intention to keep me, Jesus Christ, don't be kind to me"
It Will Come Back - Hoizer

The sound of her coffee machine rumbling to life and a familiar gravelly mutter jolted her awake. Sitting up, she rubbed the remnants of sleep from her eyes, hoping to wipe away the haunting nightmares that had plagued her since her return to Santo Padre. Sleep had become elusive, as nightly doses of anxiety and unsettling dreams tormented her.

The previous night, yet again, she had drifted off on the couch, tightly clutching Miguel's journal, only to be abruptly awakened by a harrowing nightmare. Disoriented, she stumbled to her bed just as the first rays of dawn pierced through the window.

A soft smile tugs at her lips, she was worried their disagreement the day before had been the final blow, that Nestor would leave her to figure out this mess alone.

Checking the time on her cell she sees it's just past eleven am. Groaning as she pushes herself out of bed, dragging her feet to her bathroom.

Turning the shower on to as hot as she can stand, she waits for her bathroom to fill with humid steam before stripping off and climbing in.

The hot water soothes her fragile nerves as she washes her hair. Climbing out of the shower she carefully applies her skin care, the familiar routine bringing her comfort.

She quickly dresses in a pair of jeans, an old Red Hot Chilli Peppers t-shirt she found shoved in the back of her closet, leaving her feet bare as she heads out into the living area.

"I hope you made me one" she sings out, heading towards the makeshift office.

She pauses in the doorway, her heart skips a beat as she takes in the sight of Nestor hunched over a mound of paperwork. His usually neatly braided hair is unraveled, a wild tangle of curls cascading around him. Her breath catches in her throat as she absorbs the image before her.

Wishing she had a camera to capture this moment. She wished she could imprint this image forever. The midday sun hitting him just right, bathing him in a warm glow. His hair is wild, making him look younger, relaxed. All she wants to do is tangle her fingers through his wild curls.

The air rich with the aroma of coffee dragging her attention away from Nestor, her eyes falling to her oversized mug sitting in its usual spot.

Plopping down in her chair she takes a deep sip of her coffee savouring the taste. A small moan escaping her lips.

"I take it the coffee is to the princessa's standard then?" he says deadpan, not looking up from the papers stacked in front of him.

Vee's eyes rolled with annoyance as the nickname grated against her edges. "It's satisfactory," she retorted, pausing briefly to take another sip. "So, what are we working on today?"

"We're trying to solve our money issue," he responded, glancing up at her. A puzzled expression flitted across his face.

"What?" she asked absentmindedly, idly tracing her finger along the rim of her coffee cup.

"Nice shirt," he remarked.

She glanced down, studying the shirt. "Ah, thanks?" confused at the change of subject and his analyst of her clothing choices.

"I didn't know you were a fan of the chilli peppers," he commented, leaning back in his chair and taking a sip of his coffee.

"I'm not," she shrugged. "I found it in the back of my closet; it's comfortable."