Chapter Nine

Authors Notes: Hey my lovebugs, this is a really, really heavy chapter. This chapter comes with trigger warnings and I want you to take care of yourselves first. I will provide a summary of this chapter at the end note so that if you want to skip it you can just get an overview.

There is a moment between Nestor and Vee to start with, once the TW comes in is noted by *** and a text warning.

TW: Sexual Assault. It does not go into detail however you find out who and why she was attacked. She also has an extremely strong emotional breakdown due to this information.

"But when you told me the whole story, I felt like throwing up"
Daddy Issues (Remix) The Neighbourhood

"Why did you come back?" he asked, his voice laced with curiosity, a slight wince accompanying a sip of his coffee as the bitter liquid scorched his tongue. "Honestly?"

Vee let out a sigh, her gaze fixed on the swirling steam rising from her cup. "Honestly? I don't know," she admitted, her tone heavy with uncertainty. "It's just a feeling."

As she spoke, he observed her intently, his eyes searching for the depths of her emotions, silently urging her to elaborate.

Biting her lip, she rolled it back and forth between her teeth, finding solace in the fleeting discomfort it brought. The weight of unspoken thoughts burdened her expression.

"I should have known something was wrong. Miguel always calls me at the exact same time every Sunday. And if he's ever going to be late, he texts me," she confessed, her lips still trapped in the clutches of her teeth. Her thumbs intertwined absentmindedly, their rhythmic friction betraying her unease.

"But that Sunday before he contacted me, there was nothing. No call, no text. As I sat alone in my kitchen, my table for one, I felt my heart breaking. It made me painfully aware of my solitude. I think I broke every dish in my kitchen," she uttered, a dry laugh punctuating her words.

Brushing away tears that had managed to escape, she swiped at her face with a mix of frustration and determination.

"When he finally texted me that day, it hit me. If something terrible had happened to him, if he was gone, I would be truly alone—the last Galindo standing. The mere thought unleashed an overwhelming sense of dread. I just... I can't bear the thought of being alone," her voice trailed off, barely audible on the final admission.

Nestor's eyes filled with understanding, as he placed his coffee cup on the table. Vee's heart sank, dreading the sympathetic gaze she knew would follow. Determined to shield herself from his pity, she rose from her chair and made her way towards the refuge of the kitchen, away from prying eyes.

Mechanically, she deposited her coffee cup into the dishwasher, her movements slow and deliberate. Seeking grounding, she found it in the bathroom, allowing cold water to cascade over her wrists, attempting to anchor herself amidst the turmoil. Once her breath regained a semblance of steadiness, she splashed icy water on her face, studying her own reflection in the mirror.

Her dark curls hung listlessly around her pallid face, the vitality drained from her once vibrant complexion. The weight of weariness etched deep lines on her cheeks, and the bags under her red-rimmed eyes spoke of sleepless nights and restless thoughts.

Summoning a shred of resolve, she swiftly gathered her hair, pulling it away from the nape of her neck, securing it in a haphazard bun atop her head. Splashing her face with cold water, she gently pats it dry. Feeling slightly better she pushed open the bathroom door, casting a fleeting glance around—Nestor had remained in their shared office, his absence exacerbating the ache within her. Some part of her deep down wished for him to follow.