Chapter Two

"Is it the goodbyes that haunt you, or the fear of new hellos? Won't stay long 'cause you won't stop your running"
Oklahoma City - Zach Bryan

Vee stretches as she exits the bedroom stifling a yawn.

"Nestor?" she states her eyes growing wide at the man leaning against her breakfast bar.

She hasn't seen him in over ten years but she would know him anywhere, in any life. Curiosity flows through her, a soft yearning for him fills her heart, one she thought she had buried deep, long forgotten.

She moves towards him, like falling back through time, into another life, into old habits and friendships. Her eyes never leave his face, drinking him in, noticing the small changes, the wrinkles around his eyes, the gray at his temples.

She almost misses the way he flinches and the way his body stiffens as soon as she's within touching distance. Hurt flashes across her face as she takes a side step and moves opposite him, sitting on the arm of the couch.

She watches as his eyes travel up her legs, raking her over, studying her the same way.

"What are you doing here Valentina?" he asks, his eyes settling on the far side of the room, his refusal to meet her eyes is plain as day.

"Valentina?" She starts with a snort, she racks her brain for any memory of Nestor calling her that, maybe in front of her parents, but never to her.

Crossing her arms over her chest "I could ask you the same thing, this is my apartment"

Nestor rolls his eyes "and when was the last time you used your so-called apartment?"

Vee sighs 'so this is how it's going to be ' she thinks to herself.

"Last time I was in town" she retorted slightly sarcastically "now, what are you doing in my apartment?"

"I got a notification the alarm was tripped" his voice was void of any emotions.

"Well, as you can see it's just me," Vee says, pushing herself off the arm of the chair heading into the kitchen.

Nestor makes no attempt to move, his eyes appear to be trained on the far wall, but she knows better, she knows he's analyzing every movement, every item within her apartment.

Opening the pantry she freezes, it's stocked with food, the bare necessities she purchased the day before shoved aside. A multitude of thoughts entered her mind, but most importantly, he knew it was her, he brought her favorite cereal for God's sake.

Rolling her eyes, she grabs the coffee out and starts busying herself. The only sounds are the coffee machine as Vee works, dumping four sugars in her own cup debating a fifth. She walks back around the kitchen, holding out a mug for Nestor.

He cocks an eyebrow at her, looking down at the cup.

"It's not poisoned if that's what you're thinking" she retorts rolling her eyes.

He tentatively reaches for the mug, avoiding Vee's hand as he grabs it from the bottom, the heat searing his palm. Vee smirks at his obvious flinch, as she steps across the room sitting back on the arm of the couch, studying him again, as he sips his coffee. The softness in his face she remembers from their youth is gone, replaced with anger and unspeakable scars.

Did he get taller? She thinks to herself, his shoulders are definitely broader, his body changed into a harder, thicker version of the boy she once knew. Her eyes travel down his black henley, new tattoos snaking from his neck and peaking out from his wrists. Thick legs covered in dark jeans and dirty black boots.