Chapter Twelve

Authors Note: Hey my lovebugs sorry for the delay in posting! There will also be no update this coming week as I have to travel for work, the next update will be September 3rd.

"Ask me if I'm staying and I say that I'm sleeping on the floor. Won't you tell me that you need me 'Cause lately I've been needing someone to remind me I'm worth more than just an evening."
The Good I'll Do - Zach Bryan

Pulling up in front of Nestor's complex she watches as he pushes himself off the wall, two coffee cups in his hands as he stalks over to her car, placing one cup on the roof he opens her door. The cool air rushes in causing her to shiver.

Their flood of money seemed to loosen up some tongues, little birdies had reported on a few leads. Some Carlos was following up, the rest left to her and Nestor. Late the previous night they arranged to have a holiday weekend across the border. It made an excellent cover if they were stopped by border security.

"Hey" she says, eying him wearily unsure of his mood.

"Out" he says nodding for her to move "I'm driving"

"Uhh no you're not, I am driving" she starts.

He rolls his eyes, cocking his eyebrow at her.

"I'm serious Nestor, this is my car, I'm driving"

He smirks down at her "I would like to arrive in one piece"

"Oh fuck you" she says slapping his chest, a bit of coffee spilling out the lid "I'm a good driver"

"I distinctly remember teaching you to drive, you're an awful driver. And you hit the curb as you pulled in"

"Yeah, you taught me to drive" she says pointedly "so what does that say about your driving?"

He glares down at her and she smirks triumphantly as he shoves one coffee cup into her hand and closes her door, grabbing the coffee off the roof and walking around the front of her car, making the sign of the cross, he slips into the passenger seat.

She slaps his chest again, "you are the absolute worst."

"Don't you know it," He winks at her laughing "do you know where we are going?"

"Yep" she replies, rolling her eyes and clicking on the dash GPS. She can see him shaking his head out of the corner of her eye, she just rolls her eyes as she pulls out, a comfortable silence falls between them as they head out of Santo Padre. The highway stretching out before them, the vast emptiness of the desert, a smile tugs at the corner of her lips. Happiness flooding her veins the more comfortable her and Nestor get.

She can feel Nestor's eyes on her as she tucks her leg up under her, getting comfortable for the drive. The heat of his gaze burning into her.

"What?" she asks, keeping her eye on the road in front, a stupid desperate need to prove him wrong about her driving itching at the surface of her skin.

"I don't think I've seen you smile since you got here" he murmurs.

"Yeah well, I haven't been looking at anything as beautiful as this view" she retorts.

He scoffs as he settles back into his seat, his eyes scanning the mirrors, as he takes a long sip of his coffee.

"You know you make a beautiful passenger princess" she smirks.

"A what?" he splutters.

"A passenger princess"

"What the hell is a passenger princess?" annoyance tinging his voice.