Chapter eleven

You would think that burning a bridge and it’s sign would be more difficult, but it is actually the easiest thing in the world. Especially because it is made of wood. Honestly, it is surprising that there had not been all that many accidents on that bridge. Cars drive across it when it is raining, and when it rains, you cannot see much of anything in this town because it gets that bad.

Maybe Caroline should mention something to Mrs Lockwood about a metal railing instead of a wooden one when everyone finds that most of the bridge has been burnt.

It kind of hurt Caroline a bit to burn it because she has never been one for vandalism. But she does what she must to make Rebekah believe that she is still compelled, and that she genuinely wants to help her. The baby vampire had spent the last two days sorting through her emotions when Tamara had got rid of the compulsion after they had dropped off the stake.

For some reason it felt like she was being watched when she was trying to figure out what to do, and when she decided to help Rebekah willingly, but was still going to be a bit bitchy when she saw the girl next because she hates being compelled, it felt like whoever was watching her was proud of the decision. She had called Tamara to see if there was something that she could do, to which Tamara said that she would look into it.

And look into it she did.

Tamara had phoned her as she was on her way to Wickery Bridge and told her that there was a Bennett witch watching over her and would most likely want to talk with her when she was available. The cheerleader had asked how to communicate with a dead witch without the use of an alive witch and got told to do a séance but at the location that meant a lot to the witch, her grave or her alter.

The Clarke witch had her stay on the phone as she quickly connected to the unknown spirit. Surprisingly, that wasn’t the weirdest conversation Caroline ever had, but it was unique and she hoped that the spirit wasn’t Emily because that bitch scared the hell out of her and possessed Bonnie. It wasn’t too long until Tamara got a reply to send her to the falls and to take a candle.

At that point, the Miss Mystic Falls refused to question anything witches say otherwise she would end up being very confused. ‘A candle, sure, I can get a candle and walk aimlessly around the falls. Maybe I should get I white dress so I could scare people into thinking I am a ghost?’ She thought sarcastically. The girl thanked her friend and went off to get a candle from her house, and a candle holder.

“I just seem to be playing with fire today.” Caroline sighed as she walked up to the falls half an hour later. ‘At least I know that the witch wanting to talk to me isn’t Emily, otherwise I’d be at the creepy witch house.’ She took comfort in that thought and started humming a random song as she walked.

She hummed five different songs until the candle lit up, signalling that she had found the witches burial site. The candle had lit up when she had gotten close to a large willow oak tree, which was very beautiful.

“I call on the spirit of the witch who summoned me here. You want to communicate with me and I am here to listen.” The girl called out calmly but strongly. She made sure to hide her fear.

“Caroline Forbes, a pleasure to make your acquaintance.” A voice behind her greeted, startling the girl greatly. “My name is Ayana Bennett, and I have quite a bit to tell you. I just need to know if you are ready to accept the responsibilities that come with working with a Mikaelson. Your role is very important, as are a few others but only one has been contacted thus far.”

Caroline tilted her head to the side in confusion. “Um, I’m sorry but… what role am I playing? And what responsibilities? Is this about what I am supposed to be to Bonnie?” She asked slowly. It was obvious that the Bennett family had very strong resemblances to one another. She wondered if Bonnie would looked like the woman in front of her when she was older, if so then she would be even prettier than she was now. The family seemed to age gracefully.