Chapter sixteen

Rebekah didn't think that she would feel so relieved that someone knew most of what she did and was very willing to help. It was like a weight was lifted off her shoulders slightly and was now also being carried by the brother she trusted most to confide in. She felt bad that Kol had to shoulder her burden too but her brother had made it clear that he was very much willing to help.

The blonde didn't know whether it was a good idea for her to mention Kol having a wife but she figured that he might as well know now rather than give her grief for it later. And it was worth seeing the shock on his face as she brought Davina up.

For the moment, she let Kol take in everything she had told him. It would've been a big shock for him but at least he wasn't going to run off to tell their brothers.

'Thor, imagine Klaus' reaction if he had been the one to find out first.' The Original thought and suppressed a shiver. She would've been put back in the coffin in an instant and her brothers would have witches doing magical tests to see if she had been cursed or something.

Speaking of Klaus, Rebekah was on her way to talk to him about the Gilbert girls little friends in Mystic Falls. Elena's phone had been buzzing constantly with messages and calls from Damon, Bonnie, Alaric, Matt, and Jeremy. It was getting on her nerves, but she couldn't text any of them back without approval from her brother.

When she found Klaus, he was in the middle of talking with Elijah. She didn't bother eavesdropping as it looked like a boring conversation that Elijah seemed to want to get out of, she figured it was about the hybrids.

"Hello, brothers." She greeted with a genuine smile.

Elijah and Klaus turned their attention to her, both of them still feeling guilty about failing their duties at protecting the family.

"Good morning, Rebekah. Did you have a nice evening?" Elijah asked politely, causing Klaus to roll his eyes.

"I would have had a better evening if I did not have the doppelgängers, Stefan's, and the Lockwood boy's phones going off constantly. Their friends are starting to get worried."

The hybrid huffed. "Oh bloody hell. I do not understand their worry about Elena, she is rather dull. They would be much better off without her if I am being honest." He held out his hand to Rebekah and she passed the phones to him. "Anyone in particular that seems to be the most determined to get a hold of any of them?"

"Be nice, Niklaus." The suit clad brother reprimanded.

"Stefan's brother, Bonnie, Ric, Jeremy, and Matt. I have no idea who the last four are, but if they keep making the phone buzz then I will be going to Mystic Falls to get them to stop. I may be dead but I still need my beauty sleep."

At that statement, Klaus eyed his sister discreetly and saw that she was once again pale. He looked at his older brother and saw that he noticed too. "Rebekah, love. Why don't you get some blood for yourself and I'll put these on do not disturb."

"Why do you keep telling me to feed? I feel fine."

Elijah stepped in before an argument would arise. "We all need to keep our strength up, Rebekah. Especially when hybrids are around, we all know the consequences of a werewolf bite."

The woman sighed and headed towards the compelled staff members, leaving her brothers alone to talk.

"What do we do about this? She doesn't know what's happening to her." Klaus asked quietly.

Elijah was still surprised that his sister had yet to notice that something was wrong with her. He and his brothers had seen that she seemed to be distracted by something but she was not sharing what was going on in her head. They had attempted to talk to her about what had her so distracted but she always managed to change the conversation and completely avoid discussing it.

It was getting very frustrating and he knew it was only a matter of time before Klaus would lose his patience and start demanding answers. But if that happened, he doubted that the fight would end how it normally did. Something told him that Rebekah wouldn't back down and Klaus wouldn't get a chance to dagger her.

In all honesty, the noble brother believed that there would be a repeat performance of Italy if they were not careful.

Getting back to most urgent matter, "Until we can figure it out for ourselves or she starts noticing what we do, then we do not mention it to her. Kol and Rebekah have managed to sort out whatever caused the rift in their relationship meaning that he would be close to her constantly. If anyone can figure out what is happening to our sister then it would be him." Elijah hoped that his brother would be comforted slightly. "Maybe we should hope that whatever is going on is temporary and Rebekah would be none the wiser when it's gone."

Klaus wanted to argue, but couldn't see much fault in Elijah's reasoning. So, instead of saying anything else on the subject, he put his attention into the messages. Reading each one silently, and getting more annoyed one sentence at a time.

The hybrid gritted his teeth. 'There are only so many cover stories we can tell before they start a search party. I suppose it's time to finish the trip.' He thought to himself.

As soon as Rebekah returned from feeding, Klaus called a family meeting.

Elijah collected Finn and Kol from their rooms and the siblings gathered in an empty room.

Kol, Rebekah, and Finn watched Klaus carefully as he had a look of annoyance on his face. That never ended well for the younger two as they were always on the receiving end and they ended up daggered, constantly.

"What's crawled up your arse now, Nik?" Kol asked when the silence had dragged on for longer that he wanted.

Elijah pinched the bridge of his nose. "Kol, now is not the time."

Rebekah elbowed Kol in the ribs when he was about to say something else.

"It seems that are guests little friends are getting very suspicious, so I believe now would be the right time to return them home." Klaus finally stated. "I now have some hybrids, but thanks to Rebekah, they are not needed for protection anymore. I have there loyalty, so if a situation arises then I shall call on them. But for now I'll let them live however they wish."

Rebekah felt relieved that there were less obstacles in her way if she needed to leave suddenly to do something that her brothers shouldn't know about. And maybe, this time round she could actually have a proper high school experience. She never gotten to graduate last time or went to a school dance without something happening.

"And what is our next plan then?" Kol questioned, stealing glances at his sister as if it were down to her to decide.

"I think we should still keep an eye on the doppelgänger. If something does come up and we need the hybrids then we should try and keep the little whench alive, just in case your in desperate need of some more pets should something happen to the first lot. Thor knows what beings would be trying to get to her if they knew how important she is to create a new species, she would never survive with only the Salvatore brothers, a hunter, and an amateur witch as a pathetic excuse of a shield." The female Viking suggested with a hint of disgust in her voice.

From her knowledge of the future, Rebekah figured that it would hurt to have some hybrids around. They could prove to be a great distraction if she needed one.

"Our sister has a point." Finn commented.

Klaus didn't feel like going back to Mystic Falls, but he could see some benefits of staying there a while. Maybe he could get to know more about a certain baby vampire that had caught his interest? And maybe it would get Rebekah out of the whole wanting to be human phase if he sent her to high school.

"Fine. We'll go to Mystic Falls for a while."