dancing in the dark

Sitting back a little further, my eyes scan over her face for the hundredth time this evening... I can't help it- I think she's just incredibly stunning in a way that's unlike any other soul. "Me too." I would push a pause button too if I could- this is an evening worth reliving. "Do you like to dance?" Since I can't totally stop the clock, I can try to make it a little more exciting while we live through it.

Raising a brow, she lets out another little giggle... I think I'm falling hard for that laugh. "I won't lie, Lindsey," she lingers, shaking her head gently. "I am a pretty badass ballerina." She's not joking- I can tell by the sweet, yet very gentle smile that's tugging at the right corner of her mouth.

"Alright then, cutie." I give her a little wink, returning that grin. "Dance with me?" I turn in the seat lightly, setting the guitar in the backseat before pushing open the drivers side door.

"Right here?" She chuckles, uncrossing her legs.

"Right here," I can tell she wants to- she's fun like that.

She nods her head, crawling across the center counsel instead of getting out of the passenger side door... Wow, she just keeps getting better. "Wait," she holds one hand up in the air, showing me her index finger as she uses the other to twist the radio dial, blasting The Red Hot Chili Peppers.... Dani California has nothing on her.

And the second she turns back around, catching the moonlight at the perfect angle, my heart literally jumps in my chest. I am so astonished by her beauty, which might sound pretty cheesy, though it's still so true.

There's something about the way just a few of her long, loose curls dangle out of her clip as that dress clings to her curves in all the right ways... She is completely breathtaking.

And speaking of that slinky black dress, she lightly pulls it up, showing off her legs. "I lied... I haven't danced in a long time." She allows this sweet laugh to fill the empty air around us as she steps in a little bit closer.

Letting off a gentle smile, "You could have fooled me." I assure, reaching out to take her hand in mine.

She bats her eyelashes playfully as I hold up our hands, watching as she begins to twirl in a small circle. "That's about all my moves." When she's done, she immediately melts into me, another cute smile plastered to her face.

My hand dances across the small of her back as her arms circle my neck. "Good, because this is about all I got as well." I have never been good at dancing... Not even after six months of classes leading up to my wedding- I'm a two left feet kinda guy. "You're gorgeous, Stevie." I have to tell her, though I'm sure she knows she is as rare as they come in that department.

Biting down on her lower lip, she blinks very heavily. "This is going to sound crazy," she whispers, her deep, romantic and warm brown eyes melting into mine. "But I think I'm really falling for you." Her tone goes from a whisper to a mumble, almost like that's scary to admit... and it kind of is.

Nodding gently, I leave little kisses on her jawline, causing her head to fall back almost instantly. "I feel the same way, Stevie." I do, even though I know it's kind of strange since we're both involved in relationships that are far more complicated and in-depth than anything we've been able to create so far... Life is just so unpredictable sometimes, that's all.

Her hand slides up, meeting the side of my check. "I've forgotten what this feels like." She doesn't have to go into any more detail regarding that sentence, because I already know exactly what she means.

Falling in love doesn't happen everyday... No, usually people fall in love once in their lifetime- I mean, truly and deeply in love, that is. And there are very few instances, at least that I've witnessed where love comes in your mid- fifties... Moral, or not.

We sway back and forth for a few more minutes, but before I know it- far before I'm ready to give this moment up, the sound of her cell phone ringing catches our attention, even over the flow of music.

Sighing softly, "I don't want this end." She whispers, head still resting on my chest.

I can't help but smirk, still holding her tight. "It's kind of late, Stevie," I linger, "Something could be wrong." I don't want this to end either, but I know that having children- no matter how old they are, a two in the morning phone call isn't always good... though I'm sure her children have also outgrown the teenage partying and boozing.

Nodding her head very softly, she starts to slip out of my grasp. "You're right," I can hear it in her voice, she really doesn't to pick it up. "I guess it's the right thing to do." She giggles, trailing backwards to the car as she holds the hem of her long dress in her hand in hopes she won't stubble.

~Stevie~

"I am so sorry, Lindsey." I mumble, tears blurring my vision as I stare aimlessly out the window.

Reaching over, his hand meets mine. "No, don't be sorry." He assures, though I know he's probably ready to just drop me off and run... I would too if I were him.

Jerry's night nurse was the voice on the other end of that call, telling me that he's been having an incredibly rough night, worse than usually. She said that he's yelling and cursing, waking up the entire hall and that he's continuously asking for me. And of course, like any doting wife- I have to be there for him... I will always be there for him.

We stay completely silent the rest of the car ride, which is perfectly fine since my mind is racing a million miles a minute. "I had such a wonderful time with you." I assure as soon as he pulls up to the front door of the nursing home. "Thank you so much," I add, smiling lightly as I slip out of the passenger seat and head through the glass doors as fast as I can.

I only make it half way down the hallway when the sound of his yelling fills my ears- he's mad, very mad.

"Honey?" I knock just once before I step into the room, already knowing I'm not prepared for whatever it is this time.

He's in bed, sitting up and totally livid as Misty and Alli both try to settle him down, but that seems far out of reach at the moment. "Stephanie, I'm mad at you." He announces the second his eyes meet mine.

Creasing brow, I look over at the girls and then back at my husband. "I think you're just having a bad night, dear." I know that he gets like this sometimes- he gets very frustrated over things that aren't easily fixed.

"It's all your fault." His words cause my heart to sink, because suddenly, in a split second- I know what he's talking about... I know why he's so mad. "Your never pay attention to anything, Stephanie." He repeats the same statement he's rehearsed for years and at this point in my life, I know that it was my fault.. I know that I should have and could have done more, but I can't turn back time.

Closing my eyes, I can feel those tears well up in my eyes yet again.

I wish that I was still surrounded by painted white lines, dancing with Lindsey.