Chapter One

Chapter One

Once every year, there is a reminder that not even the strongest can overthrow the captiol. Once every year, One boy and one girl is reaped from a bowl to fight to the death until one lone tribute stands. Once every year, I have to stand and hope my sister doesn't get picked. Once every year, I have to watch tributes murder each other.

Now, I am stood watching my Mom do my sisters hair. My sister Katniss is sixteen and is pregnant. Unfortunately that doesn't make her immune from the games. She always protects me and now it's my time to protect her. I loved her, she kept us all alive when my Mom went cationic because of my dads death.

Katniss was stupid, she got pregnant at a homecoming the school put on. The punch was spiked, she ended up having sex with Peeta Mellark, the bakers boy. I still love my sister and my little niece or nephew growing inside her. I just want her to at least talk to Peeta and tell him. But she's too stubborn.

I've seen Peeta many of times, He talks to me when he sees mein the square or when Katniss takes me to the bakery with her to trade with the baker, Peeta's Father.

"Katniss?" I asked quietly.

"what's up little duck?" She asked coming to sit on the worn out chair next to her.

"What if you get picked today?" I asked. I didn't want her to get picked, I wanted her here safe and have her bay in the comfort of her own home. I have already decided that if she gets picked, I am gone volunteer for her to keep her safe. The only downside is that I wont live, I will die in the area and I will never see my little niece or nephew.

"If I get picked, I'll have the baby in the capitol and it will come back to live with you and Mom." She explained. I didn't want her to give birth in the Captiol or for the baby to be brought back here alone without a mother.

"If it does get back here, does that mean it will have to live with Peeta?" I asked. I just wanted to know if she was ever thinking about giving it to him. He always tells me that his older brother has a daughter and he wants to be a father and have a kid to love forever.

"Maybe Prim, but i think I'd trust you with her more."She replied. I realised something. She said Her.

"Her?" I asked with a huge smile.

"I don't know I just don't want to call her and it." I replied. She was talking like she wanted to be a mother, years ago, she didn't want to be a mother. She would have had to watch her children walk into the games and die. She doesn't want love because of our fathers death.

Just then, the siren sounded throughout the district. "Come on, we need to go." She whispered. I sighed a long deep sigh. I didn't want today to come, this was my first reaping. I turned twelve about seven months ago so now, I'm eligible to go into the hunger games. I just hope I can get through these seven years undetected by the wrath of reapings.